Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Repair or replace plastic fender?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 08:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repair or replace plastic fender?

I have a small tear in the corner of my pass side fender, down by the wheel well. Should I try to have this repaired or should I bite the bullet and replace. I know I WANT TO replace it, but want to save $125+ if I can.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Its hard to say without seeing it. It can be fixed but would probably run you what you can buy a new one for if not more.
I would get some body shop quotes.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Well to me, it came down to paying $125 for a fender, and then paying the shop to paint it. Or they could repair the tear and paint it down to the molding, a good breaking point. I've heard some local guys say repair won't hold, others say it can be fixed. It's gonna have to be painted either way so I'd say it's a break even deal there which leaves the cost in the $125 fender.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Myh buddy had his fender crack and had it filled in and the filler came out. You take a risk.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking. Hmmm. I'll try to pick up a used GM.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a crack in the front of my passenger fender...from rolling into a truck I went ahead and got a GM fender and had it painted by a friend for not much. It doesn't fit exactly like the stock one, but pretty darn close. I say go for a new fender!
Old 12-22-2006, 09:10 AM
On The Tree

I've over the years have fixed many different types of injected SMC/ABS plastic bumer covers and fenders. My personal opionon would be to buy a OEM fender, used or new. Over time, the plastic's heating and cooling will shrink the repair materials down and you'll see it. If for some reason you do repair it I would V-groove and use SEM's "Problem Plastic" to fuse it back with a nylon mesh support on the backside. Finish off with Evercoat's "FiberTech" as your filler. Thats the best materials I've yet to have good luck with. I tryed to use almost every aftermarket style fenders for camoros and T/As, but they never fit for a ****. OEM all the way!!!
Old 12-22-2006, 12:02 PM
TECH Veteran

If I have to take the fender off, I'm going to put a new one back on. I can see from underneath the car where someone had tried to repair it before. I believe I am going to buy one. BTW, I put an aftermarket on my T/A once and it actually fit nicely. If I were going to buy (an aftermarket) one, I'd probably get it from the same people.

Quick Reply: Repair or replace plastic fender?