Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

a new product maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 01:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a new product maybe?

so I had these made for my car over four years ago, and thought maybe some of you might be interested and could just have some made for yourself.

I know someone made some overlays that went over the black plastic, but before that option was there, I had these made up. The little black plastic pieces are just held on with double sided 3M foam tape, and that is all I used on these. All they are is just some thin Aluminum pieces cut, the bottom rolled a tad to match the plastic ones, then I used a scuff pad for the brushed look, then hit them with a can of clear! I am sure someone could make up some polished versions, or someone knows a someone with a CNC machine to put some designs on it or something. I am going to redo mine, use some thicker Aluminum, but these have held up great for the $30 I have in them! Let me know what you think.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

lol @ sticker

I dont feel it fits with the rest of the car.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:45 AM
On The Tree

io have a nbm with purple peral and i just covered mine with silver vinyl. $5.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Do you have other aluminum pieces to match the theme?
Old 12-20-2006, 01:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cooltc2004
lol @ sticker

What sticker? These are not stickers, it is two pieces of aluminum made to almost perfectly match the shape and contour of the orginal black plastic pieces. And yes, I do have more aluminum on my car. I took off the door handles and the locks, removed the black coating that was on them (97, non paint matched) and gave them the same treatment with the scuff and the clear. I also have accents of it in my interior, like the nasty black plastic pieces on the bottom of the seats that cover up and hide the slider rails....again, brushed aluminum pieces. So many negatives....tough crowd!
Old 12-20-2006, 01:44 PM
TECH Addict

ive always felt the stock black sails match the windows & follow the lines of the window/roofline, so they are not noticable until you paint them or put something on them... i'd rather not draw attention to those myself.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

why would u have "warning close windows at 150 mph" at the bottom of the windows? you would only see the decal when the window was rolled up meaning they would be rolled up anyway, wouldn't it make more sense to have it somewhere u can see it all the time?
Old 12-20-2006, 03:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by drivefast4fun
What sticker? These are not stickers, it is two pieces of aluminum made to almost perfectly match the shape and contour of the orginal black plastic pieces. And yes, I do have more aluminum on my car. I took off the door handles and the locks, removed the black coating that was on them (97, non paint matched) and gave them the same treatment with the scuff and the clear. I also have accents of it in my interior, like the nasty black plastic pieces on the bottom of the seats that cover up and hide the slider rails....again, brushed aluminum pieces. So many negatives....tough crowd!
he was laughing at the sticker in the first pic that said "Warning: Roll down windows at 150mph."

And i bought some black pieces like this from the dealer for 16 bucks each, looks brand new.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:09 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Camaro Ryder KV
why would u have "warning close windows at 150 mph" at the bottom of the windows? you would only see the decal when the window was rolled up meaning they would be rolled up anyway, wouldn't it make more sense to have it somewhere u can see it all the time?

Although you make a valid point here, and I did consider putting them up there, I for one normally do not leave my car parked with the windows down while it is sitting out (or in for that matter!).

he was laughing at the sticker in the first pic that said "Warning: Roll down windows at 150mph."
and on that, well, sorry I did not understand what he meant. Those have been on there for so long I had forget they were there. I did not even notice them in the picture until it was pointed out to me, my bad.

ive always felt the stock black sails match the windows & follow the lines of the window/roofline, so they are not noticable until you paint them or put something on them... i'd rather not draw attention to those myself.
Like I think I stated before, these are/were made to almost exact same specs as the plastic pieces, size and shape wise. The bottoms of them are even rolled like the plastic pieces. On my car, in person that is, they are hardly noticable, more of a subtle approach. Are you comparing them to the rubber seals that go around the window? is that what you mean by following the lines of the window/roofline?

io have a nbm with purple peral and i just covered mine with silver vinyl. $5.
and if you are happy with how it looks, that is great. However, I do not like to take one thing and cover it up with something else to make it look like something else, so I had mine made out of aluminum. kind of a personal preference thing, you know? I view it like this: I could make a sheet metal intake out of cardboard and cover it in some vinyl to make it look like sheet metal, but I would much rather have the real deal! I know that sounds arrogant, but that is my personal preferance, and like I said, if you are happy with what you have, great, good for you!