Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

ipod connection question

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 01:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ipod connection question

Hey all,

I am going to order a new HU to replace the monsoon soon, and my main concern is my ipod connection.

Here is my question: What is the difference between buying a HU with a simple aux input and plugging a splitter in like on my home stereo, or going the fancy route and buying the kit for $60 and plugging it into the cd changer port?

Is it simply that you can control it from the HU that way as opposed to using the ipod itself to change songs?

Or is it that you can read the text on the HU that way? Or both.....?

Any help is appreciated!
Old 12-20-2006, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you are getting an aftermarket deck, then the only question should be, is what alpine unit to get. Alpine full speed data cable is the best ipod interface on the market. It will charge the ipod, and all controling is done throught the deck, all other ipod direct hooks ups do the same, but alpine is faster, and easier to find playlists, artists etc.

the aux plug is good, but you will see wires, you will need to use the ipod to search for songs, and it does not charge.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:51 PM
Launching!

Thanks bud.

I agree its probably best to avoid the aux input to allow HU controls of the ipod.

But wouldnt the wires still show for the cables to the alpine unit? I am going to research alpine, thanks for the advice.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

with the alpine, or pioneer, eclipse, etc., the deck controls the unit, so the ipod, as well as the cables can be hidden. I had mine in my center console. That and the glove box are both common locations.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jimmy 2 Times
if you are getting an aftermarket deck, then the only question should be, is what alpine unit to get. Alpine full speed data cable is the best ipod interface on the market. It will charge the ipod, and all controling is done throught the deck, all other ipod direct hooks ups do the same, but alpine is faster, and easier to find playlists, artists etc.

the aux plug is good, but you will see wires, you will need to use the ipod to search for songs, and it does not charge.
The pioneer one is just as fast as the alpine.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

Default hu

i vote the alpine..i have one with the ipod hook up and love it...pretty cheap 2
Old 12-21-2006, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 87formy
The pioneer one is just as fast as the alpine.

no it is not, and it is not as easy to find what you are looking for with the pioneer