Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converters... You get what you pay for

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 05:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Converters... You get what you pay for

First off, i would like to say that Frank from Performabuild is an awesome guy, and he works for a great company and has helped through every step of the way. Hell i didn't even buy their converter and they still went out of their way to help me. I would recommend them to anyone As far as the Converter goes ill let the pictures are worth a 1000 words. My suggestion is if you have any doubt, go with a company like PI, Yank, or Precisionshift... they cost a little more, but it would have been a whole lot cheaper is i would have went one of them to start with

As you can see this caused my tanny to overheat extremely bad

Look at the shitty welds

This is whats left of the lock up clutch

Last edited by The1N_only; 12-20-2006 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see these all the time. All it is is a 4 cyl. converter with an adapter ring or adapter lugs welded on so it will bolt to a V8 flywheel and 4L60E hub welded on to mate with the pump. In the first pic you can see where the adapter lug is bolted with an allen bolt to the original 4 cyl. lug in order to make it fit a flexplate with a larger bolt circle! The lock up clutch isn't large enough to handle the weight and torque of a V8 powered F-body. The clutch in that convertor is approx. an inch wide where as quality stall convertors have clutches that are more than twice as wide as that. This is the reason why companies like PI or Yank have billet front covers specially machined. In order to get a lock-up clutch in a 9"-10" convertor with the same surface area as the stock lock-up clutch you MUST use a custom made front cover with a larger surface area in conjunction with a wider clutch. Do some searches and look at some pictures of aftermarket high stall convertors for the 4L60E. You will notice that the expensive ones ALL have a billet front cover (the side facing the engine which bolts to the flexplate) and all the inexpensive ones don't.

I know people are going to come in here and say "I have brand X convertor and have no problems" and "You don't know what you're talking about newbie" and the only response I can give is that you are in the minority and have somehow been lucky. Others will say, "For the price who cares. I'll take my chances". Just know that when the convertor has a catastrophic failure it usually damages the transmission (i.e. $$$$$). Some people will learn from your misfortune but the vast majority will have to learn the hard way.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amen.... went TCI, blew it up and learned the hard way.... VIG is the only way to go
Old 12-20-2006, 07:07 PM
TECH Resident

I just wanted to put it out there and so maybe people can see, you actually do get what you pay for... Company "X" talked about how good there converters was and the quality and yadda yadda yadda... well as you can see, IMHO its a peice of ****
Old 12-20-2006, 07:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GMRACER13
I see these all the time. All it is is a 4 cyl. converter with an adapter ring or adapter lugs welded on so it will bolt to a V8 flywheel and 4L60E hub welded on to mate with the pump. In the first pic you can see where the adapter lug is bolted with an allen bolt to the original 4 cyl. lug in order to make it fit a flexplate with a larger bolt circle! The lock up clutch isn't large enough to handle the weight and torque of a V8 powered F-body. The clutch in that convertor is approx. an inch wide where as quality stall convertors have clutches that are more than twice as wide as that. This is the reason why companies like PI or Yank have billet front covers specially machined. In order to get a lock-up clutch in a 9"-10" convertor with the same surface area as the stock lock-up clutch you MUST use a custom made front cover with a larger surface area in conjunction with a wider clutch. Do some searches and look at some pictures of aftermarket high stall convertors for the 4L60E. You will notice that the expensive ones ALL have a billet front cover (the side facing the engine which bolts to the flexplate) and all the inexpensive ones don't.

I know people are going to come in here and say "I have brand X convertor and have no problems" and "You don't know what you're talking about newbie" and the only response I can give is that you are in the minority and have somehow been lucky. Others will say, "For the price who cares. I'll take my chances". Just know that when the convertor has a catastrophic failure it usually damages the transmission (i.e. $$$$$). Some people will learn from your misfortune but the vast majority will have to learn the hard way.

Where were you when all certain people [not NOT talking about Performabuilt] were fleecing the users on this site and they were/are still loving it?

Last edited by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed; 12-20-2006 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Where were you when all certain people were fleecing the users on this site and they were/are still loving it?
Old 12-20-2006, 07:58 PM
TECH Resident

Oh i forgot to mention, I only put 250 miles on this converter and new tranny set up
Old 12-20-2006, 08:12 PM
TECH Resident

was that a performabuilt converter
Old 12-20-2006, 08:40 PM
Teching In

Anyone familiar with PTC in Mobile AL?

Is this what they do , adapt 4-cyl convertors?
Old 12-20-2006, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

From the mounting tab and color of the case... looks fuddlerific to me.

Did it Let go? Break anyhintg in the tranny?

Last edited by sixvi6-camaro; 12-20-2006 at 09:02 PM.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

was it performance built i just ordered a transmission and converter from them
Old 12-20-2006, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its NOT a performabuilt converter.. he said that in the first post. Its a Performabuilt Tranny but another brand converter.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:06 PM
TECH Resident

OK, I was confused by the structure of his paragraph. I just installed a Performabuilt trans and converter, and though I've had no serious problems, a post like this worries me. Damn Fuddle.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

A while back everyone was praising fuddle now bashing them. I have not used any of their converters but whats the deal with everyones change of heart they used to be/ are a sponsor here arent they.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:26 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

No as The1N_only said that is definatly not our converter just wanted to make sure that was clear. Our converter brand name is PrecisionShift converters.

We did inspect the transmission for him the damage was not severe and was limited to considerable contamination with aluminum mostly

Call 888-744-6542

Old 12-20-2006, 09:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by GMRACER13
I see these all the time. All it is is a 4 cyl. converter with an adapter ring or adapter lugs welded on so it will bolt to a V8 flywheel and 4L60E hub welded on to mate with the pump.
What kind of low-life shop does this and sells it to people?

Old 12-20-2006, 09:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 12345678910
was it performance built i just ordered a transmission and converter from them
Just don't drive it and you'll be fine. j/k I don;t know who's it is, yet.

Old 12-20-2006, 09:36 PM
TECH Veteran

For the record, my brand new (4 months old) VIG 3700 exploded while driving steady at 45 mph and destroyed my ALSO 4 month old FLP IV tranny......so it doesn't matter who you go with really.....but you might as well go with the top people to better your chances.

Old 12-20-2006, 09:42 PM
Trunion King

Originally Posted by sixvi6-camaro
Its NOT a performabuilt converter.. he said that in the first post. Its a Performabuilt Tranny but another brand converter.
Looking at his sig, his stall is YANK.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bene
Looking at his sig, his stall is YANK.
thats his new one. the one pictured isnt a yank. a couple other people have said who it is.

i wonder if this was my problem too. i had the same company's converter go bad through my trans.

Quick Reply: Converters... You get what you pay for