LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Decided to pull motor

Old 12-20-2006, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Decided to pull motor

I decided to just pull my block out to do the rest of my build I already have the heads, Wp, opti, accessory bracket with PS pump and AC comp off, and all the wiring. I have 1 question just to make sure i have verything set. The block is held in by the 2 side motor mounts and the 5 tranny bolts our is it bolted down any were else
Old 12-20-2006, 07:39 PM
Launching!

just make shure you disconnect everything from the motor that runs to the car. Your gonna need to disconnect your converter from the flex plate. Other than that (I dont really rember right now) there isnt to much to pull it out
Old 12-20-2006, 07:40 PM
12 Second Club

The motor mounts and the trans bolts is all there is pretty easy, even better with a trans jack. Picked one up at harbor freight for cheap, really helped out I pulled everything by myself.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:04 PM
Teching In

probably don't want ot hear this but i'm assuming your taking the motor out the top and installing the same way. if you possibly can atlest install the thing form the bottom...it makes life much easier,a dn at that point its a perfect time to replace shocks springs ball joints etc......jus my .02
Old 12-20-2006, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well when i install it I will probably install just the short block without heads then assemble to make it better. It does not really seem to hard to take from the top as i do not have the rad or ac condenser in. I just want to remove to replace my rear main, oil pan gasket, and some much needed cleaning I will post pics hopefully later tonight of it in the car.

Another question after unbolting the tranny bolts and Converter do i have to drop the tranny to pull the motor. I can get to the top tranny bolts from my engine bay since my heads are off.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:54 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got done doing this 10 minutes ago

The easiest way to unbolt your trans is to undo the Dshaft, TQ arm from the rear and tranny. Then put a jack under the tranny pan with a piece of wood in between, put pressure on the trans with the jack and unbolt the crossmember and then lower the tranny about 6''.

After that get as many extensions as you can and hit the bellhousing bolts from way back, its SUPER easy.

Tony.
Old 12-24-2006, 04:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

I find a nice little way to unbolt my trans. since I basicly only have the shortblock left in my car I have access to almost all the tranny bolts from under the hood knowing this I made a templet of what angle I need and heated and bent a box end wrench to the needed angle I just gave it its first try and it works great lol saved me about 2-3 hours of work and droping the tranny.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:49 PM
hashtagBMW

I like having the trans out when putting the motor back in. Thats just how i like it done.

Tony.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:51 PM
TECH Resident

make sure to disconnect your battery
Old 12-24-2006, 02:12 PM
TECH Veteran

hell yea, i have that jack for what $149.99 and its one of the best things ive gotten from harbor freight.

Originally Posted by Ls1Bait
The motor mounts and the trans bolts is all there is pretty easy, even better with a trans jack. Picked one up at harbor freight for cheap, really helped out I pulled everything by myself.
Old 12-24-2006, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just to update i have managed to get the top 2 bolts and the driver side middle out in about 15 min total. I might have some trouble on the pass middle but i will see, eventually i will pull the tranny but i am kinda in a hurry to pull the block and i have no wear to set the tranny so i came up with this. I dont see why I would not be able to pull out the converter either while the tranny is still up. I should have the block out sometime this week i'll post pics when i do.
Old 12-24-2006, 04:53 PM
hashtagBMW

Ill post pics in a couple min, i just finished cleaning up everything.

The converter is going to drain like a bitch, i recomend you leave it on the trans until the motor is out. And if your tranny is still in the area it should be in once your engine is out you can jump in the bay with a bit detergent bucket pull the verter of quickly and just flip it upside down and let it drain.

Tony.
Old 12-24-2006, 04:57 PM
hashtagBMW

I just have the front end up on some stands (6th Notch) and the rear tires are on some cinder blocks. This is were I have my trans right now. In your case you could do this and leave it under the car until your ready to put your new motor in. Then have a buddy come over and help you lift the tranny on a juck while your under the car (god damn that was hard ) and then get everything all bolted up.

Tony.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thx for the pics you pretty much the only reason i didn't want to drop the tranny was because the car is in my drive way.(gravel) lol so I just made my little tool.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

One question your tranny looks like it has a total of 8 bolt hole 3 on each side and 2 at the top I thought the a4 only had 6?? are those other holes used or is that a differnet tranny.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:46 PM
hashtagBMW

2 of the holes are guides for the back of the block.

It lets the bellhousing line up and kinda holds the tranny in place so you can drive your bellhousing bolts in.

Tony.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok thx. ont the pass side middle bolt did you have any trouble getting the wireing out of the way. Does it come uncliped or is it just fixed to that plate behind the bolt.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Obviously you guys got a handle on this but, I found it super easy to just pull my longblock with the tranny attached. unbolted the slave cyl, torque arm, drive shaft, and some wires, and cross member and it swung out pretty easy. Had a buddy helping though.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:46 PM
hashtagBMW

It took me 20 minutes to undo 6 bellhousing bolts.

I supported the tranny with my jack and a piece of wood and then ubolted the crossmember and lowerd it and took long extensions and hit all the bolts, easy as cake.

Hyperzone,

You must be a god bro, i had the worst tiem just getting the longblock itself out. We also didnt have a Hooker, we just bolted the chain up to the intake.

Good Luck.

Tony.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

ya crazy man I am still trying to figure our were i am going to bolt my gain sling to the short block to pull it I was thinking catty corner head mounting holes. I basicly did mine the way I am do to space and accessability. I my car was not sitting in gravel i would probably drop the tranny but I really dont like the idea of my car up on jack stands in gravel and then have to move the tranny with jack around in it. I guess to each his own as long as it gets done

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Decided to pull motor