Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need the truth

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 02:05 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I need the truth

I need to know what up. My dad just bought me a midwest 3500 2.5 str (forchristmas) and after reading more I see people hate them, but the guy my dad bought it of of loved it and had no issues at all with it and said it was very tight, he went to a turbo set up so he bought a new one and he had the midwest fulshed for me and my dad didn't pay very much for it but I am just a little nerves about it.

BTW:the friend of my Dads is very trustworthy
Old 12-22-2006, 07:19 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats the 8"/10" model. 8" converter with the 10" lockup I had one and it was a great converter. Dont worry install it and hang on. If it was sent in to midwest Fred would have opened it up when he cleaned it and checked it out.

Last edited by koolrayz; 12-22-2006 at 08:14 AM.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:10 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

If its allready been tried and proven in another car then I would not be overly concerned about it

Call 888-744-6542

Old 12-22-2006, 08:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i have that exact converter in my car... i wouldnt say i hate it - it hasnt givent me any problems whatsoever, but i cannot 60ft this car worth a ****. dont know if you are concerned about drag strip times or not.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:52 AM
TECH Regular

I know it's on a different car, but I had my PI converter rebuilt by Midwest. First, he talked me into a 2.5 STR for better traction - WAY too tight!

Then, I sent it back and he changed it to 2.1 STR, totally kicks ***! I gained 3 MPH in the 1/8 and 2 in the quarter first time out from my best with the PI.

Al
Old 12-22-2006, 11:45 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by performabuilt
If its allready been tried and proven in another car then I would not be overly concerned about it

thanks for the input. btw my parents will be buying one of your tc soon for there 04 GTO (or as I call it there GTsloooow)
talking crap to my dad is the only way I can get him to mod the car.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man if it was fine in this guys car then you should have absolutely no problems out of it. Be ready for a big difference bc a TC wakes these cars up like seriously.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had nothing but bad experiences with Midwest and there so-called quality. I even talked with Fred and still had issues with my TC. It was repaired twice and leaking oil all the time. The difference with your situation is the converter was used and had no issues. If you ever have issues with it, don't waste your time with their warranty department.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:51 PM
FormerVendor

Here is a bit of info from another converter company www.converter.com website about that style of converter

Spaceship Type Converters
All late model transmissions regardless of make have a clutch in the torque converter. Precision Industries was the first performance torque converter company to design and successfully manufacture a small diameter clutch assembly that would survive the abuses of high performance late model vehicles. We had to manufacture a special front cover, clutch plate and develop a clutch lining that would handle pulse width modulation. This is the reason we use a special billet front cover not just for the good looks! Our competitors in the performance industry do not have the technical ability or the capability and are just too cheap to follow our lead. They are using all stock front cover and clutch parts designed and built for 4 and 6 cylinder vehicles to compete with Precision Industries. When OBDII appeared they suddenly found out that using these inferior 4 and 6 cylinder front cover and clutch parts was not going to work so they started using 15 year old technology, the so called 9-12 or 9-11 spaceship type of torque converter. What these torque converters consist of are parts from 1- $10.00 and 1- $35.00 wrecking yard torque converter core along with a steel ring to mate the 2 converters together. Using these parts equates to a value for this type of torque converter to no more than $300.00. While this type of torque converter seemed to solve the torque converter clutch problem it instantly created more serious problems. One advantage to using a small diameter torque converter is that it has a lot less rotating mass than the stock 12” torque converter and with the thick steel plate to mount the 2 stock torque converter halves together to make the 9-12 you end up with more rotating mass than the stock 12” torque converter. A more critical problem with the 9-12 spaceship type torque converter is the turbine wash over of this design. The turbine wash over is so strong that the large diameter torque converter clutch is pushed up against the front cover and drags during stall and acceleration. This action kills acceleration and causes undue stress to the torque converter clutch. What this means is this style of torque converter will never accelerate as well as the small diameter torque converter meaning slower 60 ft. and ET times. This style of torque converter would probably work satisfactorily in Grandma’s car but is not something you would want for a performance torque converter. Our competitors must be laughing all the way to the bank selling this inferior product for the price they are asking!
Old 12-22-2006, 01:46 PM
11 Second Club

You know why Precision and Yank are so popular? because they have the $$$ for R&D, that's why. that, and the fact they don't "cut corners"..
Read all the "Truth abouts" from Precision's site and you'll wonder why you didn't just bite the bullet and spend the $$ on their product.. If I didn't go Vig, I would've went Yank, and will NEVER stray from these 2 companies on any future TC purchases... you know the old saying "fool me once"..that holds true for TC's as well..
Old 12-23-2006, 09:16 AM
11 Second Club

I run yank >>>>my son runs 3500 2.2 midwest for last 3 years and about 2-250 pass @ track and more on the street on a heavy (5k) truck with slicks with no problems, just had FRED build a 4200 for a big block we are building
good luck, Johnny