Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Tailoring injectors to specific cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 05:32 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tailoring injectors to specific cylinders

I've got a set of used 42# SVO injectors that I'm going to send off for cleaning and flow checking and I was wondering if it possible to have an injector "tuned" to flow a bit more or less? My reasoning lies within the notion that all 8 cylinders don't ingest the same volume of air per cycle thus leading to possible leaning conditions namely problematic cylinder #7. If its possible, I'd like to have one of my injectors flow 3-4% more and put that into cylinder #7.

Has any research been done to quantify the volumetric efficiency on a cylinder by cylinder basis as a function of RPM for an LS6 type intake? Obviously many factors would play a key role but many of these would cancel each other.

Any thoughts?
Old 12-22-2006, 07:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Talking It's not..

unusual to see 3-5% differences in injs that have not yet been matched as a set. In some cases, I see more than that, when running "off the shelf" sets.
As for "tweaking" them.. that's a miraculous feat, that RC claims they do...Might call and ask.
The set you have, may have the differences you are looking for.
When I do them, I ask the customer if they want any that are higher flowing, in any particular cyls. I number them accordingly.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:15 PM
TECH Regular

One thing I noticed as I was shopping around for a company that offers the cleaning/flowchecking service was that the companies posted before and after test data for the injectors that they serviced. Most of the results showed that the injectors were balanced within 1(lb/hr) after being cleaned which lead me to believe that somehow there was a way to increase/decrease the flow of an injector to match a particular value.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:28 PM
On The Tree

I may be wrong on this, so take it for what its worth......

My tuning software (not HPT) for my GTP allows you to skew the injector flow rate for each cylinder.... i.e.,

cyl 1 = 100%
cyl 2 = 100%
cyl 3 = 101%
cyl 4 = 102%
cyl 5 = 104%
etc.....

I haven't ordered my HPtuners for the SS yet, but I would guess they have the same feature or something similar. (not sure on that part)

I would get them all flow matched/balanced, and adjust each cylinder how you like.... just be careful!
Old 12-22-2006, 09:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NVR_ENUF
I may be wrong on this, so take it for what its worth......

My tuning software (not HPT) for my GTP allows you to skew the injector flow rate for each cylinder.... i.e.,
just be careful!
That's great! I wonder if my EFILive is capable or even if the PCM is capable. Thanks for the info. I never considered the software solution to my problem.