Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too loud!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 02:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Too loud!

Well this is gonna sound wierd but my car is just too loud (for what I am comfortable driving around on a daily basis). I love the sound to death but whenever I see a cop, I panic because I can hear my car idle from 30 yards away so when I accelerate regularly, I know he can hear me loud and clear. I have 3" true duals under the axle with a 3" Dynomax muffler (the fat ones, don't know any other way to put it, they're not bullets) on either side right before the tips. I'm not afraid of making it sound like crap, that's hard to do with TD's. I just want to know if there are any straight-through style mufflers (made by another company, perhapse) that can significantly quiet the car down. Also, what are the quietest bullets I can put before the mufflers to quiet it down even more? Thanks for any insight!

Last edited by GTObsessor; 12-22-2006 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well you could look into getting some long powerpack(not powerstick) mufflers since they are quieter than bullets & chambered muflers. They are just like chambered(powerstick) mufflers, only no crimps. The long ones are 26". Or you could get several of the medium or small ones if your pipes curve alot. Check them out:
http://www.eadperformance.com/catalo...19b777930612da
I think the twister/spiral mufflers would also be a really great choice
http://www.flopro.com/Twister.htm

Last edited by jimmypop13; 12-22-2006 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here are some pics of my 3" short powerpack.

Or you could check out the SLP loudmouth 2 muffler. It's straight-through like the loudmouth only with packing in the outer tube. Also for a little big larger muffler, check out the SLP Powerflo, it's still straight-through but the outter casing is much larger so theres alot more stuffing.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:37 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks a lot - a couple of the long ones should fit perfectly right after the X pipe. I just hope that .5" of packing material they have will have enough space to clear the undercarriage. I looked at the spirals and I was afraid they might hurt performance if I put them in place of my 18" Dynomax mufflers. They have a good 2" of packing on them so I don't know how much quieter the spiral mufflers would be. Can anyone attest to how well they flow/muffel?

Last edited by GTObsessor; 12-22-2006 at 03:43 PM.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:09 PM
12 Second Club

Too loud? thats nonsense...lol..i run my cutout open all the time with the cam and headers..
Old 12-22-2006, 06:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GT Griller
Too loud? thats nonsense...lol..i run my cutout open all the time with the cam and headers..

I know but I'm paranoid. In Cali, a loud car is a quick and easy way to get attention from cops.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Borla XR1's are supposed to be significantly more quiet as compared to bullets. And they sound awesome. Just an option.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99Hawk262
Borla XR1's are supposed to be significantly more quiet as compared to bullets. And they sound awesome. Just an option.
I would but I already have *real* mufflers in the back. They're the straight-through flow type but have about 2" of packing material around them.
Old 12-25-2006, 02:19 PM
Banned

So you you have Dynomax Ultraflows, or Super Thunders? Or another type of thicker bullet muffler like the one pictured above? Since you mention straight through, and fiberglass packed...that can only mean Ultraflows...do you have cats? What headers are you running?

If the former thats about as quiet as you are going to get for true duals. You have two (2) full size mufflers on there!

As far as a quiet true dual exhaust in general, you generally want to run cats to quiet down the exhaust, and at the same time some sort of full size muffler, or two. If you have those things you should theoretically be safe around cops unless you have an ORY, or headers and a bad muffler.
Old 12-26-2006, 02:42 PM
On The Tree

the oval dynomax ultraflow mufflers would muffle more than the rounds.
Old 12-26-2006, 05:04 PM
TECH Resident

I burnt up a cat about 2 months after the TDs were installed. It didn't get much louder after they were out though. I may look into the ovals. And what would be the point of TDs without headers??? heheh
Old 12-26-2006, 05:12 PM
Banned

True duals are true duals, headers or not. They will still outperform a ypipe setup every time....

For more pics on the dynomax ultraflows, which is a straight through muffler, see my thread
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/494790-custom-true-dual-exhaust-design-modification-56k.html

3" TDs with those types of mufflers pictured above is going to be loud!
Old 12-26-2006, 06:21 PM
TECH Resident

I'm running a Dynomax Ultra Flo 17223 3" muffler before each tip. I think I may go with 2 large powerpacks and that should bring down dB levels quite a bit, I hope.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:10 PM
Banned

Then the muffler you are running are:

Which are basically glorified bullets...they are going to be quieter than bullets but not by much at all.

If you can fit them, one option you have are these 3" dynomax:
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

They are full size mufflers (not barrel-type mufflers) and with two of those on there it should bring the decibles down to an appropriate level.

I would be interested to see if they could fit before the tips...you'd be better off with a TA where it has some ground effects rather than a camaro which is just bare in the rear. The case length of these oval ones is 14", whereas the case length of the ones you have are 16", so they should be good.