Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

I need a diagnostic Pro....

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 10:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a diagnostic Pro....

Anyone in the Inland Empire (Beaumont, where the 10 and 60 freeways meet) that can help me out and correctly diagnose my car......heres a lil history:

The car has always ran at least a lil bit rich, i always thought it was just from being a tad rich on the tune to be safe.....well apparently something has been building up to be a problem that needs to be dealt with.

About 1000 miles ago my car would seem to run out of power and just die when was driving (cruising around 2k rpm) and when i would try to crank the car over it wouldnt go, the battery would be dead......well that happened a few times and I ended up just changing the battery and getting a new alternator (because i was gonna sell the car because i just got my 350z)......

Well, after I replaced the electrical things, the car ran ok for a lil bit, and after those 1000 miles ticked away, the car problems resurfaced.

It seemed like it was a fuel problem to where the fuel pump was getting burnt out or was going out and would get hot and stop pumping fuel, therefore making the car die, and it wouldnt start back up for about 10 minutes (which was making me think somethings getting hot, and making it quit, then when whatever it was cooled down then itd be ok.) I ended up replacing the fuel pump thinking that was the problem and that wasnt the case, it was still running very rich and still had the same behaviors.

After more research and thinking I came to the conclusion that it could be bad O2 sensors giving incorrect readings the the comp and making it run pig rich......so i went and got it scanned, well it came out that both right and left bank sensors were maxed out. So that gave me hope and I just replaced the sensors a few days ago.

In the initial start up the car was very rough, after a breif warmup or w/e the car smoothed out and I noticed the car was not pig rich like usual because i smelled a clean burn. I drove it around town on a test drive and it ran great!.......but on the way back home it stuttered for a half second , then died. I waited 2 min. and then fired it up (took about 3 seconds to crank) and drove it home.

Idk what could be the problem, it almost seems like it gets flooded and i have to wait for it to calm down or something ....idk. Im not sure what it could be so im reachin out to you guys for an explination or some help. If you have any experiance with this sort of thing let me know. Thanks, Daniel
Old 12-22-2006, 11:20 PM
10 Second Club

If you already tried fuel & power next is spark, something in your ignition/timing isn't working correctly. Test your spark and check your ignition timing.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by XpEdItIoUs
If you already tried fuel & power next is spark, something in your ignition/timing isn't working correctly. Test your spark and check your ignition timing.
well the thing is that im not sure its outside of fuel managment, could my tune go bad for some odd reason? or something? I have a delteq and dont know much about ignition/timing issues, is there anywhere you can lead me?
Old 12-23-2006, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Autotap and I may be out your way on Tuesday (off Hidden Springs). You can check out a few parameters and narrow down your problem some.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
I have Autotap and I may be out your way on Tuesday (off Hidden Springs). You can check out a few parameters and narrow down your problem some.
Yea thatd be cool with me, where are you located at?
Old 12-23-2006, 01:35 PM
Staging Lane

I'll bet you $100 bucks its your optispark. Go replace it and let me know if I owe you money or not.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by that240guy
I'll bet you $100 bucks its your optispark. Go replace it and let me know if I owe you money or not.
hmm i do have the original one on it.......hmmm but if that was the problem wouldnt it always run bad compaired to running fine and then crapping out? i need to look for some info on that one. thanks for the pointer tho
Old 12-23-2006, 05:28 PM
10 Second Club

Use the auto tap and it will point you to the right direction it's a good diagnostic program.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:31 PM
10 Second Club

What year is your car? I also belive it's your optispark it is known to have issues on the lt1. on it.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:37 PM
10 Second Club

If it dose end up being your optispark, here is some good info on it http://www.charm.net/~mchaney/optisprk/optisprk.htm
Old 12-23-2006, 08:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

cool thanks for that link, i used to have em all but i lost my favorite links and ive been a lil busy with the holiday crap. so yea ill look for an auto tap and go from there pretty much. thanks again
Old 12-23-2006, 08:46 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you need to log the car, look at you fuel trims and such, those will point you in the right direction. but being that i've had about 5 optis go out in my lt1 car. it sounds like opti to me, its a easy fix, about a two hour job on your back.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by _SHIFT
Yea thatd be cool with me, where are you located at?
I live in Riverside, but I'll be in your area visiting a friend. I'll find out tonight what day for sure.
Old 12-24-2006, 04:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

alright cool .....but damnit more stuff happened. I limped it to my parents house (hes got all my tools and then some) and it wouldnt start when I went to leave so

Ive taken my opti off a couple of times in my past, its not bad at all tho so hopefully autotap will point right at that
Old 12-24-2006, 08:16 PM
Banned

also look at your temp sensor! it might be telling your computer it's cold and keeping it in open loop or just on a higher fuel table?

another place to look.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1bad71
also look at your temp sensor! it might be telling your computer it's cold and keeping it in open loop or just on a higher fuel table?

another place to look.
If temp sensors don't work they usally keep fans running on all time, even on a cold start. Thats a way to tell if it's your temp sensor.
Old 12-25-2006, 01:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

possibly but i wasnt able to start it the last time i tried ( about 4-5 good trys lol) so idk if the temp sensor is the main problem, idk.
Old 12-25-2006, 01:50 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by _SHIFT
possibly but i wasnt able to start it the last time i tried ( about 4-5 good trys lol) so idk if the temp sensor is the main problem, idk.
No, A temp sensor wouldn't cause the the car not to start.
Old 12-26-2006, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Let me know if you need me to stop by in Beaumont. I'll be heading out that way tomorrow (Wed.) around 11am. Can't help you with the Opti (don't know anything about it).
Old 12-26-2006, 06:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
Let me know if you need me to stop by in Beaumont. I'll be heading out that way tomorrow (Wed.) around 11am. Can't help you with the Opti (don't know anything about it).
Yea id appreciate that, ill PM ya some info so you know where to go and all that stuff

Quick Reply: I need a diagnostic Pro....