Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broke something installing headers =(

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 01:24 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broke something installing headers =(

Well i finally got my ebay headers in and everything, but I broke a plug on the very front of the driver side head. It's like a bung with a 2 pin connector. I broke the plastic off from the metal. What is that and is it really important? Also, how the hell do u get those EGR pipes to fit? I think it's just these ebay ones but the EGR pipe no longer fits and I don't want to stress it since some tubes break off. Also, is my car supposed to be putting out a bunch of blueish smoke when I start it up? No cats, just 18" of pipes.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:33 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's the coolant temperature sensor, it's vital. Every table your computer uses to govern fuel/spark/etc. is usually governed by the coolant temp somehow.

Get a new one, and install it pronto. I wouldn't even drive the car. It just screws in and out, but be careful screwing the new one in, they like to break off as they are soft brass (ask me how I know).

Mine actually did the SAME THING. The plastic piece broke off, prongs still sticking out. I broke my new one off and had to put the stocker back in after I JB welded the plastic part back on. The prongs lined up and it's been working fine for almost 2 years.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:46 AM
12 Second Club

crap...where can you get a new one?
Old 12-23-2006, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

dealer.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:26 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks guys... btw...how are yall connecting the stock EGR to headers? Mine won't fit and I dont wanna stress it. I dont have cutoff plates so for now I have a screw with insulation tape over it. The stock screws dont screw into the AIR connections so I put nuts on the other side but it's not sealing, the tube is loose...exhaust leak still drives fine though
Old 12-23-2006, 02:33 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need some new AIR/EGR gaskets for where the header connections are. I would make your own blockoffs and delete that ****.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Unless you have a 98, the local autopart store should have them. I went there cause i also broke that sensor, but they only had the two pin units, and 98's are three. So i had no choice but to buy from the dealer.. Just about 20 bucks from the dealer...
Old 12-23-2006, 04:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just block off the all the EGR bull **** and also the air stuff and just throw it out. Makes the engine bay look bette also.
Old 12-23-2006, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

With headers with EGR couldnt you just put some JB weld or epoxy weld in the hole and let it cure up. I mean it's not like headers are an appearnace mod. Why soend the money on blockoff plates is what I'm asking basically.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:53 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02gixxersix
With headers with EGR couldnt you just put some JB weld or epoxy weld in the hole and let it cure up. I mean it's not like headers are an appearnace mod. Why soend the money on blockoff plates is what I'm asking basically.
That's a good idea...didn't think of that. Already ordered the plates though. BTW, do I need to put a hanger up or somethign to support the exhaust pipes? I'm running a 20" extention pipe for now off the collectors with no support, would that put stress on the flanges?
Old 12-24-2006, 11:13 PM
11 Second Club

No it shouldnt stress the flanges at all. I ran 20in pipes too for a few days...but i only had clamps...yea they didnt hold heh...either way you should be fine.

Also i just cut off my AIR pipes and welded um up..really does clean up the engine bay.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:49 PM
TECH Resident

AIR and EGR dont fit up with the ebay headers. I found that out when I installed mine, so I just went ahead and deleted them. Someone posted something about bending or twisting the pipes to link up to the headers, but I think youre better off just deleting them. My car smoked for a good 10 min after I first started it up. Its just the oil from your hands and everything burning off the headers. If its coming out of the exhaust, then you may have a problem.
Old 12-25-2006, 01:20 AM
12 Second Club

I bought some of these headers but wont be installing them for awhile on my SS, got other projects going right now. Wish I could help you guys with the problems
Old 12-25-2006, 12:53 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DropTopBird
AIR and EGR dont fit up with the ebay headers. I found that out when I installed mine, so I just went ahead and deleted them. Someone posted something about bending or twisting the pipes to link up to the headers, but I think youre better off just deleting them. My car smoked for a good 10 min after I first started it up. Its just the oil from your hands and everything burning off the headers. If its coming out of the exhaust, then you may have a problem.
Quite a lot of bluish (i think...it was at night) smoke came outta the exhaust for about 3 minutes the 1st time I started it. I think it was just the air/fuel ratio not adjusted since the battery was disconnected for about 48 hours. 2nd time I started it (the next morning) and the car was okay, no smoke or anything. The zip ties I used to keep the AIR tube on temporarily did smoke a bit from the heat, and the engine bay also sounds like I have a bent pushrod or somethin from the exhaust leak by the emissions bungs.