Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought a Borla exhaust for my 3rd gen IROC-Z

Old 12-23-2006, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a Borla exhaust for my 3rd gen IROC-Z

It just arrived this afternoon in the back of a FedEx truck. Borla's stainless steel adjustable cat-back for my '86-'92 Fbody's.
I have this very same exhaust on my 4th gen LT1. Bought it YEARS ago when it first hit the market and I've always had the opinion that Borla was the highest quality, best sounding exhaust available for the 4th gen LT1 cars.

Only problem was, local law enforcement didn't like it as much as I did. They made that point pretty clear, by writing me up nearly a $1000 in excessive "noise" tickets over an 8 year period

Oh well. Honestly, I couldn't have cared less at the time. The car sounded bad-@ss and that's really all that mattered. Nobody else had that exhaust and people were always telling me how awesome the car sounded and asking me what exhaust I was running....

When I bought a second car last year (I needed a new mode of transportation while I finish building up my 4th gen Formula Firebird) I decided that when I upgraded the exhaust, I would go with something nice and quite to avoid getting any more tickets for noise. I ended up going with a Dynomax cat-back. It's a great exhaust, don't get me wrong, It's got a deep, low sounding rumble at idle and has a nice smooth sound cruising around and doesn't "drone" any more than the stock exhaust did at 2500-3000rpm. It also doesn't attract the attention of the cops and that's been a plus too.

Problem is though, I couldn't stop thinking about the sound my 4th gen made. I love the way Borla sounds. It's just so different compared to every other exhaust available for these cars and not only that, but it's not very often you see guy's running this exhaust ? (especially on 3rd gen's)

Last Saturday, I watched some video me and some friends filmed of my LT1 driving around and doing burnouts etc. etc. hearing the sound that exhaust made was driving me nuts. I just had to have it again. The rest as they say, is history...

I can't wait to hear what this sounds like on my L98.....

In case any of you are wondering about this exhaust, it's a full 3" stainless steel manderal-bent cat-back. Comes with Borla's inter-changable plates (to adjust the volume/tone of the exhaust) Borla's XR-1 stainless steel muffler, duel angle-cut stainless tips , stainless clamps, stainless hangers (starting to see a pattern here? ) and all other necessary hardware to install the system (yes, even they're stainless steel too)
The tips are nice, but I prefer the square tips that come with the 4th gen kit.

On 3rd gens, especially the Camaro's, I don't like the look of ANY exhaust pipes coming out the back, so in all likely hood, I wont even install these tips and just buy a set of turn downs. I just like the clean look of not having exhaust tips on Iroc's, maybe it's just me....
Regardless, I'll put them on just to see what they look like. Maybe I'll change my mind when they're on the car.

Anyway's, now my entire exhaust will be made of stainless steel from the headers all the way back, so I won't have to worry about snow and salt rusting anything out.

Stay tuned for installation pic's and sound clips once it's been installed.
I have yet to see a single 3rd gen in person that has this exhaust, so I'll definitely have something different in the sense that I'm not running the same Flowmaster/Hooker Aerochamber exhaust everybody else runs.

Can't wait to hear whet she'll sound like

Here are some pic's I just took. Any questions you have, feel free to ask...

Old 12-23-2006, 04:53 PM
On The Tree

Here's a few more....

Old 12-23-2006, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice setup man. Your right though...it seems most 3rd gen f-bodys run Flowmaster or Hooker. I've only seen one in person that has a Borla.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:44 PM
Launching!

yup, borla sounds good. I Just got some compliments tonight on mine. Nice system
Old 12-23-2006, 11:46 PM
TECH Addict

very nice setup man! ive always loved the way borla sounded on the 350/ ls1/lt1 cars!
Old 12-24-2006, 01:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My freind has a Two out the side borla exhaust, very low key and clean looking....Also has sqaure tips...Sounds really damn good

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just bought a Borla exhaust for my 3rd gen IROC-Z