Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-body SLP-ZO6 Mass air sensor, resister?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 11:29 PM
Restricted User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default F-body SLP-ZO6 Mass air sensor, resister?

I hade to remove the Resister from my LS1 SLP 85mm ZO6 mass air sensor.

I was having my 01 SS Procharged camaro Dyno tuned and the car was stumbling bad off idle giving the car a wack at the throttle .

My tunner swaped My Mass air for a ZO6 mass air sensor that he had borrowed off a 02 ZO6 . Saying it was a bad mass air sensor ( So i bought a new SLP zo6 mass air/ with the resistor like my old one)

This Mass air that my tuner swaped mine out for was not a SLP mass air sensor.

so it did not have a resistor , so i desoldered mine and took the restor off.

IT Fixed the stumble but my car still has a hesitation and a drop in RPM when i come off the clucth to roll out after being stoped at a light-or stop sign.

I kinda have to wake up the throttle and peddle her to get the RMP up enough , to get ther car to roll out of first gear , with out maybe the car stumbling off stalling ,

Its very frusting to drive some of the times, The car is not right , but it only does it at a stop and comming off the clutch in normal driving . Start up is good and idle is good.

I wanted to know If the SLP - ZO6 Mass air has anything else done to it besides the resistor soldered to it . I did not try to drive around using the real-original ZO6 mass air , (Dam i wish now that i did)

And what exactly does this resistor do?

Please help me out.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 08:38 AM
11 Second Club

I can't help, but I am interested as well in knowing the differences because stories like this make me want to just buy a GM Z06 MAF for my car when I get to buying a new MAF in the next few months.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there has to be some one that had this problem. i have it too. part throttle driving is fine but from a stop you either got to stab the gas or be super super delicate taking off. i changed out my descreened maf for a screened stocker and the same problem is there. hows your first cold start of the day? mine is like im radically cammed and sometimes stalls till its warm. god forbid you have the defrost or a/c on, it just exaggerates the problem.
Old 12-24-2006, 05:49 PM
Restricted User

NO my cold start is fine,
its just at the roll out start from a light or stop sign.
realy sucks,

what mods do you have done to you car ZDOG?
Old 12-25-2006, 02:02 PM
Banned

The resistor is supposed to "Calibrate" the MAF sensor, so it works in the frequency range that is expected for the tables in the computer of the ls1. PACE uses a resistor also to calibrate their Z06 unit but suprisingly enough the resistors are not the same one.

I would swap back on the stock one just to make sure it's the MAF sensor, that is really causing the problem and not some other tuning issue...that will tell alot.

Also, SLP has been shown to have problems in tuning with their MAFs. The PACE MAF is far more consistant...And you're not supposed to use a regualar Z06 MAF sensor without calibration (or transferring the MAF tables from a Z06 PCM--which I'm sure your tuner did...), so that may be your problem in addition.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:28 AM
Restricted User

NO
He just tryed to tuned my car for the stock motor with a D1-sc Procharger pushing 9-10 PSI
With the resister on the car had a bad stumble and nothing could be done about it until i removed the resister.

But now the car hesitates comming off the clutch to roll out of first after a stop.

It wants to lay down, i have to pedle the throttle and wake her up to prevent stalling and lay down. This is only out of first gear or a very very slow roll.

I think i will try a stock Mass air sensor,

But is the SLP mass air sensor messed with in any other way besides the resister that is soldered in?
Old 12-26-2006, 02:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lawnboy
But is the SLP mass air sensor messed with in any other way besides the resister that is soldered in?
Not that I know of.

Substituting in a stock MAF sensor will tell you if the sensor is bad or something else is up. You should be able to find one in the for sale section or a boneyard...

So what MAF sensor are you using now? If you are using the Z06 one did you're tuner account for the tables being different in the PCM? If you have the option you can swap that one back on (without the resistor) and see if cures the problem and if not I would still try a stock one to narrow down your options.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:38 PM
Restricted User

I have two one with the resister , and a brand new one thats on my car now, that one i had to remove the resister , otherwise the car wuld just stumble off idel and not rev up smooth,
the problem is now just comming off the clutch after a dead stop, in first gear ,
Old 12-26-2006, 03:43 PM
Teching In

keep your stock maf unless you really need more air, the stockers are just as good as any others for a bolton car....

i went with an aftermarket maf and ive had nothing but idle problems and crappy ses light lean banks 1 and 2

the stockers work just fine, you can even port it if you wnat, but leave the screen on becuase it helps to direct airflow
Old 12-26-2006, 11:14 PM
Restricted User

What after market mass air are you running camarokid02?

I might need the Screen too, so the sensor can read the air better , i took mine out, my tunner said it was OK though.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:19 PM
Teching In

Default What type of TB?

Is your TB stock or ported? I have a D1 and an ECS cam.The ported caused problems like stalling and stumbling. I bought a stock unported one and the hesitation is almost gone. I had to turn the idle screw up a bit so it wouldnt stall when I stabbed the gas.