Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Navigation question???

Old 12-25-2006, 04:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Navigation question???

Does anyone know if the factory navigation on some of the new GM cars/suvs fit into a T/A's radio slot or if there is enough there to work with to make one fit? Im sure it can be wired up just not sure about the fit, any help would be great . Thanks!
Old 12-25-2006, 09:41 AM
On The Tree

The Nav in newer GM vehicles are double-din size. The slot in f-bodies is din.5. You could probably make it fit with a little cutting and fiberglass. Depends on whether or not you think it's worth that.
Old 12-25-2006, 02:26 PM
Staging Lane

Getting it to fit is the easy part. The hard or next to impossible part is getting it to work because of the inputs it receives from the computer and various sensors.

I had looked at doing this on my C5 before taking the easy way out and installing a Kenwood unit.
Old 12-25-2006, 04:22 PM
On The Tree

Didnt think it would be too hard, I have seen a few and they are all look pretty straight forward with the exception of the GPS antenna. I have tried looking for some aftermarket ones but I havent found one that looks nice enough for me, I want it nice and flat/flush...
Old 12-25-2006, 04:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dunno, I use TeleNav on my cell phone. $10/month, always updated maps, always have it with me, no matter which car I drive.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just get a pioneer in dash flip screen dvd/navigation player. That way you can retract the screen as well as have navigation when you need it.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

get a pioneer avic-d1 or avic-d2 they are cheaper and far superior to the stock nav from gm. They even show digital analog extra gauges. they are made for just this retro fitting nav to a car that didnt have it there. Its double din just like factory with a static screen which means it doesnt pop in and out. Check ebay usually u can find them for around a grand
Old 12-25-2006, 07:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SRT2LS1
Didnt think it would be too hard, I have seen a few and they are all look pretty straight forward with the exception of the GPS antenna. I have tried looking for some aftermarket ones but I havent found one that looks nice enough for me, I want it nice and flat/flush...
I thought the same thing because I wanted the DVD, XM and Nav but started investigating it and there are a butt load of inputs required for all of the functions to work. A lot come from the computer and they are not compatible with the older units. I was looking at using a unit out of an XLR.

I concur with the other responses on using the aftermarket units. I looked at the Pioneer but at the time there was some serious QA problems so went with a Kenwood head unit. It is my understanding that the Pioneer problems have since been fixed so this would be a better choice since the Nav is built in.
Old 12-25-2006, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea the avic-d1 had the problems. so i heard. the avic-d2 is the revised version of the avic-d1 and supposedly has all the kinks and bugs worked out. i think the gauges are cool on it. The pontiac gran prix gxp has nav so thad be the most logical place to look but i still dont think youre going to get anywhere as our cars are rooted to 1993 so really its 80's technology still becuase they started building them in 1990
Old 12-25-2006, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

Yeah Im getting the Pioneer with the touch screen, I wouldn't get a pop-out screen. it looks too cheap for my taste. I want one that fits nice and flush and that looks factory. I am looking to upgrade all my interior and a Navi. system would look awesome. Thanks for all the help guys...

Search this Thread