Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to put wideband bung?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 01:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Where to put wideband bung?

I am a bit confused atm. I just bought an lc-1 wideband. Where should I put the bung? My exhaust setup is lts, ory, catback. Should i just not even bother welding it on and go with an sd tune & replace one of the stock o2 sensors?

I may go with an sd tune since I will have access to hptuners and will be able to adjust stuff.
Old 12-25-2006, 04:43 PM
TECH Regular

I've also wondered about this. I know most tuners assume both banks to be equal in comparison but I don't believe that to be 100% true all of the time. I've wondered if the wideband should be place just aft of the merge in the y-pipe in order to monitor both banks. However, I don't know if there is enough thermal energy left in the exhaust to get a proper reading from the wideband even though most widebands can be tailpipe mounted.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:21 PM
11 Second Club

[QUOTE=2002_Z28_Six_SpeedThe best way I have gathered so far is to put the WB in the stock position and sim for NB while feeding the output to your computer. I hope that the WB can pull double duty without changing the reading from the analog out too much.[/QUOTE]

What all do I have to do in order to do this for hptuners? Do i have to wire the wideband up to the stock computer as well as the lc-1 harness? Or can i do it some other way?
Old 12-26-2006, 06:54 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Placing it that far back will make the reading slightly off though. Probably do-able.

Monitoring both banks doesn't make sense to me though. You can't tune for both banks in the computer so why do it unless you think you have a serious problem AKA NOT TUNING.
I guess I mostly worry about the 1% of the 1% of time scenerio like an injector starting to lean out or something like that. I know that unless you had a wideband on each exhaust header primary you really can't be sure of anything about each cylinder just the average of however many you are measuring. This is probably more of a concern that top-fuel and big-time horsepower racers worry about than most guys with less than 600hp.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

i put mine right after the header collector.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't recall which bank it is, but one side tends to run a bit leaner. I'd put it on that bank as close as possible to the merge collector.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

I had mine installed in the Y right behind the driver side collector. works great there and I ran the wires to HP tuners threw the shifter console.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wideband is after the y-pipe and it agrees with the narrow-band sensors within 1 percent. Wideband always reads 14.7 or 14.8 when cruising the highway.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

The fuel trims are adjusted from the pre-cat o2 sensor voltage, and it's the fuel trimming where you can see the small discrepancy between banks. The chemical reaction in cat's can skew the AFR if the wideband is located downstream, but I seem to recall it's only a couple percent.