Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Metal Intake Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 08:50 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Default The Metal Intake Thread...

I'm making this thread for everyone to post up their info on metal intakes and thoughts on specific brands that they have from their own personal use. I would like to hear some input from all of different brands out there like the Weiand, Professional Products, and the BBK one.

DO NOT post if you are just going to throw out a post reguarding metal intakes suck, they heatsoak, and you will lose power.

This thread is for results, and personal thoughts from users on specific brands of the metal intakes. Sort of a battle of the metal intakes, which one is best and why! Post up!

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 12-26-2006, 10:43 AM
7 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so far i really like my single plane gmpp intake... it has enough bottom end to spin 275/60/15 MT dr's launching at the track in 2nd gear (1:1.7x..TH350) but im still on stock shocks.... the chassis has nice pieces though... BMR Xtreme stuff...
Old 12-26-2006, 04:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like my BBK. I don't have dyno results. I don't think you can beat it for the price. Inside it is probably just like the LS6, except you can port the BBK to remove casting flash, and polish up the runners. I could not get all the way up the runners, probably only 6 inches, but I did it. If you get one, makr sure you knock down the casting flash at least .
Old 12-26-2006, 04:40 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

have you tried polishing the BBK? think it looks like the outside could polish up to a mirror like finish pretty easily?

The Weiand is proven pretty good.

The Professional Performance, i'd like to get some feedback on it from people owning one...

Old 12-26-2006, 04:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running the Professional Products 85mm polished manifold. I also have enough bottom end torque to break the tires loose in 2nd. I almost ended up in the wall last weekend. My chasis is tightened up, but I'm still on stock shocks. Oh yeah, it broke loose 27x10.5/15 MT ET Streets in 2nd gear. I don't know of any manifold that costs less than the PP. And when I ran a test on the PP 85mm throttle body matched up with the PP 85mm manifold, I got 11 rwhp and 9rwtq through a 12 bolt with 3.90 gears....just with a throttle body. I think with the right combination (heads, cam, t/b) , the PP intakes can hang with any other one out there. Yes, I do think the 95mm PP manifold will hang with the FAST 90. But we will see.
Old 12-26-2006, 04:50 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

could you post some pics of it installed possibly? Thanks for the input!

Old 12-26-2006, 04:53 PM
Restricted User

i installed a weiand when i recently did my h/c swap. what i liked about the weiand was that i could port match it to my heads, plus open up the inlet to 80mm to match the bbk tb. it looks really good too.
Old 12-26-2006, 05:33 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Superman09
could you post some pics of it installed possibly? Thanks for the input!

There are more pics of it installed on the second page of my car domain link in my sig which you can make bigger to see it better.

Last edited by 02SS:ZEUS; 12-26-2006 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-26-2006, 05:35 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS6nJAX
i installed a weiand when i recently did my h/c swap. what i liked about the weiand was that i could port match it to my heads, plus open up the inlet to 80mm to match the bbk tb. it looks really good too.
You can also port match the Professional Products manifold, and there is an 85mm inlet.....to match the 85mm PP throttle body, 85mm SLP bellow, 85mm SLP MAF, and 85mm SLP lid.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:15 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

that looks amazing zeus, can you run the stock TB with one of the PP intakes or do you have to get their bigger version? Did everything bolt up like stock when swapping the intake?

Old 12-27-2006, 08:25 AM
12 Second Club

I'm very interested in this thread also, as I am buying a Weiand Lingenfelter metal intake. I'm also tired of hearing about the heatsoak B.S.

I have read about some leaking issues but am starting to think its from too thin of gaskets & improper torque pattern & ft/lb's by the owners.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:14 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Superman09
that looks amazing zeus, can you run the stock TB with one of the PP intakes or do you have to get their bigger version? Did everything bolt up like stock when swapping the intake?
I still have the stock throttle body on my car. I'm waiting for the PP polished 85mm throttle body. Any stock style throttle body will bolt up to the PP 85mm manifolds. I had a few issues bolting mine up with it being one of the first ones to come out, but Jim Davis at Professional Products is outstanding as far as costumer service goes, and he has made the proper mods for the intake to bolt right up.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:21 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
I'm very interested in this thread also, as I am buying a Weiand Lingenfelter metal intake. I'm also tired of hearing about the heatsoak B.S.

I have read about some leaking issues but am starting to think its from too thin of gaskets & improper torque pattern & ft/lb's by the owners.
I think heat soak is very over-rated. I just stick a bag of ice on the intake between runs...make sure if you do use ice you put a towell between it and the manifold if there is any color on the bag of ice, otherwise the color on the bag will end up on your shiny manifold.

I prefer the aluminum intakes anyway, reguardless of heatsoak. I will be running a wet shot this spring, and hopefully boost with the N2O next spring. When it comes to boost and nitrous, I feel the aluminum does much better than the plastic. Not to mention the aluminum intakes will help save your **** in the case of a nitrous backfire.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

intake looks clean zeus
have had very good results with vic jr. and elbow on 500+ N/A engine
did not have good results with th weiand back in the day (02-03)
still have not had a PP yet, for LSx
but had a single plane PP typhoon for a 383 SBC, just over 400 rwhp engine
in a 3rd gen camaro
Old 12-28-2006, 11:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another thing I like about thte BBK is it uses GM intake seals. No paper gaskets . The BBK comes with a titanium colored powder coat. You'd have to remove that before you polished it.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Reading this with some interest, has anyone tried the extrude hone process on these manifolds?
Old 12-30-2006, 05:01 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Reading this with some interest, has anyone tried the extrude hone process on these manifolds?
As far as the PP intake, this may answer your question.

Originally Posted by jimdavis@professional
We have not done a comparison between the Fast 90/90 and our unit. In their advertising they claim 15 hp better than an LS6. On our engine dyno test we made 17.7 more than an LS6. That's the closest I can come to making any kind of comparison and in the real world, I am not sure it means much. Without knowing all the specifics of the engine they tested it on compared to the test engine we had, it is very difficult to intelligently make any kind of comparison.

There is plenty of material available for additional porting if needed. There is also a very large access panel on the bottom of the manifold making it extremely easy to get to the inside of the runners.
I think this is my next performance mod on the TA!

Galen
Old 12-30-2006, 07:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It appears that their re-release should go better and they are addressing the issues with the manifold. I have been watching it with interest as well since it is definitely a lower cost alternative to the FAST, which with porting and a throttle body and throttle body wiring kit (Vette) you are up to almost $2K.

The extrude hone process would also smooth out the inside.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

i'll b ordering my lingenfelter manifold this friday and i was wondering about gaskets . . . which do i go for if some don't come with it?
Old 01-15-2007, 09:03 PM
TECH Resident

id love to hear more about the weiand because i just traded my ls6 for it. i has a minor port on it, i got it because of the n20 and port match

Quick Reply: The Metal Intake Thread...