Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

SPEC strikes again.......

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 04:33 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPEC strikes again.......

so i've had the spec 3+ laying around in the box for minute and the slave just went out on me last week so i decided to go ahead and install the clutch. well right off the bat the clutch was chattering like CRAZY, i mean i could see the front end of the car shuttering up and down a couple inches, and what sounded like the shifter hitting either side of the tunnel. so, not wanting to drop the trans again i hoped by some miracle that breaking it in would lessen the chatter, it was still drivable, if i stalled above 1500 rpms there would be much less chatter. well tonight i noticed a heavy engine vibration in neutral at about 1200 rpms and up, so at 150 miles on it i decided to pull the trans because i knew either the assembly wasn't balanced, and/or the flywheel was machined wrong(which i read about in another thread). so flywheel is out and it appears to indeed machined crooked, there's more wear marks on one side than the other. im taking it to the machine shop first thing in the morning, and ill know more then, but damn.....
Old 12-27-2006, 11:57 AM
Teching In

I dont get it... What is wrong with the clutch??

or was it a SPEC Flywheel that was the problem
Old 12-27-2006, 12:10 PM
TECH Addict

I got my spec 3 in the box at home but im putting off installing it cause im afraid of that same thing, lol
Old 12-27-2006, 12:21 PM
TECH Regular

sorry, not trying to hijack...

Originally Posted by Ericbigmac83
I got my spec 3 in the box at home but im putting off installing it cause im afraid of that same thing, lol
3 or 3+ ? id hold off even longer...my stage 3 has probably 4k or more on it now, and it STILL chatters a bit. ill never deal with spec again. and theyre customer service wasnt as good as i had hoped...if youd like more info, you can pm me.

-cam
Old 12-27-2006, 02:14 PM
Launching!

it seems so far that the flywheel was the problem. the machinist couldn't believe there was less that 150 miles on it, there were grooves and hot spots all over it.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:26 PM
On The Tree

guess it was accurately machined crooked to .001" lol

sorry, I hope your machinest can fix the problem.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:00 PM
9 Second Club

all high performance clutches that are a single disk will have some chatter.It also depends on the driver.Get used to it and you shoudl be able to slip the clutch out low or high RPM without a lot of chatter.You have to be alot slower coming off the clutch.I had mine for about 20k miles with a nitrous setup and 650hp turbo setup and it never slipped.I took it out due to tranny sway to auto.Maybe I just got one of the good ones.I had a regular stage3
Old 12-28-2006, 03:20 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SuperZ
all high performance clutches that are a single disk will have some chatter.It also depends on the driver.Get used to it and you shoudl be able to slip the clutch out low or high RPM without a lot of chatter.You have to be alot slower coming off the clutch.I had mine for about 20k miles with a nitrous setup and 650hp turbo setup and it never slipped.I took it out due to tranny sway to auto.Maybe I just got one of the good ones.I had a regular stage3
obviously some chatter is expected, and i can live with that. it was the very noticable engine vibration( in neutral, clutch in or out) that i could feel in the floorboards that motivated me to tear it back down. part of the pressure plate had significantly less wear than the other half, which lead me to believe i had problems.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:33 AM
TECH Addict

They really do vary between them, some get lucky, some get **** upon....im hoping that i got a good one when my clutch does go. I really dont feel like throwing the money at another new clutch.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SoCal01z28
it seems so far that the flywheel was the problem. the machinist couldn't believe there was less that 150 miles on it, there were grooves and hot spots all over it.
Before you come on here talking so much **** with your 24 posts, why don't you call Spec and talk to them about your situation, rather than start involving 3rd parties(your machinist) ? If you don't even do the due diligence of calling Spec about your issue, you have absolutely no right to come on here bitching and then go right to a 3rd party to pile on to your irrational reaction.

Last edited by Cyborg; 12-28-2006 at 03:52 PM.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wolfy
my stage 3 has probably 4k or more on it now, and it STILL chatters a bit. ill never deal with spec again.
-cam
Why? Because your stage 3 still chatters a bit with 4K on it ...Sorry to break it to you, but you have either picked the wrong hobby (high-performance modified cars) or you need to purchase a GM clutch if you want there to be absolutely no evidence of a high-performance aftermarket clutch in there.

Originally Posted by wolfy
and theyre customer service wasnt as good as i had hoped
That has not been my personal experience with them, or of the other 20 or so LSX cars around me that all have been running Specs for several years, and yes have gone through clutches and talked to Spec and gotten reasonable rebuilds and excellent service
Old 12-28-2006, 03:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Cyborg
Before you come on here talking so much **** with your 24 posts, why don't you call Spec and talk to them about your situation, rather than start involving 3rd parties? If you don't even do the due diligence of calling Spec about your issue, you have absolutely no right to come on here bitching and then go right to a 3rd party to pile on to your irrational reaction.
believe me that would have been the first thing i would have done if i would have had the receipt. i got the clutch kit new in the box with the car, so i felt i had no warrant to call them without proof of purchase. I just picked the assembly up from the balance shop and the pressure plate was 52 grams out of balance, and the flywheel was over 10. I'd consider it a rational reaction with how my car behaved with a $800+ setup.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:02 PM
Launching!

this is also my daily driver, i need to get it back on the road soon as possible, besides no receipt,thats why i took it to a 3rd party instead of calling spec.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So is that the flywheel came crooked new from Spec or is that the machinest who resurfaced the flywheel screwed up.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SoCal01z28
this is also my daily driver, i need to get it back on the road soon as possible, besides no receipt,thats why i took it to a 3rd party instead of calling spec.
don't sweat it dude

keep us posted on what your machinest sez
Old 12-28-2006, 08:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Spec 3I is working great and has been working great for the last 3 years. I have my stock flywheel and the clutch was broken in at the track. From the lift to the trailer to the track. No issues so far but I know my clutch isn't gonna last forever cause it's a track only car that see's nothing but 6800rpm clutch dumps and power shifting at 7000rpm but now now it is still going strong and when it goes I WILL BUY ANOTHER SPEC
Old 12-28-2006, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

All you guys still try spec and it seems a hit or miss with them.Should've gone with good one to begin with.Did you call all the majors and ask for there recommendations.Just don't talk to there secretaries,ask for tech.Then you make you're decission.I personnally tried McLeod single disc.Can't be happier.When I call mcleod tech I got red roberts-the former owner/designer.I told him what I have and what is planned.Great man to deal with.But remember this was after like 4 hrs on the phone.Do the research then check the threads.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:08 AM
On The Tree

I got one from a guy who sold his car and didn't install it. the price was good and it seemed like a good idea this summer. little did I know I was gonna end up doing a clutch job for a bad slave cylinder 7 months later. so far so good feels great so far. as and autocrosser I understand the stresses are nowhere near as harsh as the drag guys with thier 6000+ rpm launches so hopefully things will last much longer.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyborg
Before you come on here talking so much **** with your 24 posts, why don't you call Spec and talk to them about your situation, rather than start involving 3rd parties(your machinist) ? If you don't even do the due diligence of calling Spec about your issue, you have absolutely no right to come on here bitching and then go right to a 3rd party to pile on to your irrational reaction.
i bought a stage 2 several years ago, after the install i had a bad vibration around 1500 rpms, in nuetral or in gear..i called Spec and told them the situation,they basically said i was stupid and that a clutch wouldnt cause that kind of problem....i pulled the 50 mile clutch assy out, cut into little pieces with a torch and mailed it back to them....in a nutshell it can happen, get off his back....
Old 12-29-2006, 11:37 PM
10 Second Club

I put a spec 3 in 2 years ago and it took about 1K miles to break in. It chattered pretty bad at first. Then settled down.
I broke the tranny and had to pull it after 4K miles and it looked totally done. Major hot spots and very close to the rivets.

So I put a oz700 in with new tranny rebuild. And now after another 5K miles the slave is smoked and the clutch looks pretty bad again. But it was very smooth when I put it in. And it gripped like a ****.
I think it needs turned, a new friction disc and balanced again. It's out, might as well do it now rather than in the middle of summer!!

Quick Reply: SPEC strikes again.......