Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP loss due to PVC system

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 10:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HP loss due to PVC system

I have a question that’s been bugging me for a while. Does anyone know how much spark retard in degrees the PCM does when it detects oil in the intake track caused by our supper hi-tech PVC system. Is it around 2 or 3 degrees for example, and if it is how much horsepower is reduced as a result of loosing 2 or 3 degrees of timing? If anyone can answer this successfully it will probably put an end to the stock vs. catch can / breather arguments.
When I was having my car tuned the tuner had to take out some of the initial advance he put in due to knock, which I suspect is/was coming from the PVC oil injection into my intake tract. This means I am leaving some untapped HP on the table due to the PVC system. I am going to change the system but I still would like to know just how much HP many of us are loosing because of this.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by twospeed
I have a question that’s been bugging me for a while. Does anyone know how much spark retard in degrees the PCM does when it detects oil in the intake track caused by our supper hi-tech PVC system. Is it around 2 or 3 degrees for example, and if it is how much horsepower is reduced as a result of loosing 2 or 3 degrees of timing? If anyone can answer this successfully it will probably put an end to the stock vs. catch can / breather arguments.
When I was having my car tuned the tuner had to take out some of the initial advance he put in due to knock, which I suspect is/was coming from the PVC oil injection into my intake tract. This means I am leaving some untapped HP on the table due to the PVC system. I am going to change the system but I still would like to know just how much HP many of us are loosing because of this.
I couldn't tell you for sure what kind of KR you are looking at, you may want to try the PCM and tuning forum for that. But stock vs !pcv / breather is no contest. The stock pcv system simply SUCKS. Some F-bodies they are more than adequate but the vast majority burn oil through the PCV system. I removed my PCV system and definitely felt an increase in power. Either way you should do something, burning oil is not a good thing whether you are looking for more power or not.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It doesn't detect the oil, oil crust just can make ignition
glow points inside the motor. This is the dangerous kind
of knock because it does not respond to spark timing,
only compression and so knock retard (while it may be
active) has no authority over the events.

Catch cans, SeaFoam, control & clean up the problem
and you don't have to worry about the tune end of it.