Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel fitting mystery

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 09:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel fitting mystery

I'm trying to locate a distributor for these fittings. My local hose shop tells me that they are a custom made part. These are the fittings that tanks inc sells with their unit. constant busy tone on their phone...

anyone seen these?
Attached Thumbnails fuel fitting mystery-tanks-kit.jpg  
Old 12-28-2006, 12:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was in the same dillema. Could not find them anywhere. I also could not find an spare gasket that came with that kit.

Keep calling them and see if they can sell you the fittings alone. Their customer services is crappy so good luck
Old 12-28-2006, 04:54 PM
Restricted User

Is that 3/8 NPT to 3/8 hose ?
Dale
Old 12-28-2006, 06:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lightbulb Fitting

That looks just like a fuel fitting that would be available at a West Marine, Boat Owners Warehouse(B.O.W.), etc., in the outboard fuel fitting section. While there, get one of their catalogs. Yes, if it is indeed a 3/8" female pipe in the end of that reqtangular block, & a 3/8" male barb on the other end, then it is available at a marine store or hydraulic supply house. Possibly a really good hardware store too. Pretty common actually. Gar
Old 12-28-2006, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

YES, it is indeed, a 3/8" female pipe in the end of that reqtangular block, & a 3/8" male barb with 1/4 pipe thread goes into the other end. A local hydro store told me "its a custom job and you can't buy those separatly".
HD,Lowes,Tucker,AZone,HILO,Carquest,Pepboys,
Advance,....not happining...

I can't find these "pretty common" units.

I'll try a marine store tommorow( good idea ) and a couple of other hydro stores also.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:59 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow I can`t believe those are that hard to find. Guess I`m spoiled living in chicago. The ace hardware 4 blocks away had them. But then again I haven`t tried finding them since I moved to the suburbs, probably a different story out here .

If the marina doesn`t have them (I would think it would but who knows) McMaster-Carr has them PN 53525K17 I can`t direct link it just type the # into their part finder http://www.mcmaster.com/
Old 12-28-2006, 11:20 PM
On The Tree

G-Body,
What you found are common fittings. I have seen those around, but thats not what I need. what you found look like this:
Attached Images  
Old 12-28-2006, 11:44 PM
On The Tree

And I need something like this...
(crude drawing but you get the picture...)
Attached Thumbnails fuel fitting mystery-fitting.jpg  
Old 12-28-2006, 11:46 PM
On The Tree

BTW,
That fitting is a "one piece unit". Not two pieces.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:47 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I knew that was too easy. Sorry, Guess I`ll have to try again. I`ll see what I can come up with.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:51 PM
TECH Resident

Lightbulb Fitting

crisp3...I am mistaken, I did not notice that the bottom of the fitting is 3/8" male pipe with the 3/8 male barb nipple coming out of it. You are right, that would be a specialized fitting. BUT!, You could easily make one. The top portion of that block fitting is what they call a "street-elbow" or street-el. That particular style/brand is the key. It could be made in brass by: Brass Craft, Parker, Eaton-AeroQuip, Weatherhead. Some are cast, some are forged. You want what they call the machined, forged style/type of fitting. One of these vendors offers that block style. Then all you would have to do, is sweat solder a 3/8" tube or tube nipple into the bottom threaded area. Heck, research their websites & distributors & dealers...They might make the exact fitting, all in one piece. Hope this helps. Gar
Old 01-30-2007, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Takes forever to get through to Tanks, Inc., it's constantly busy. I called about a dozen times over a two-day period before I got a gentleman named "Lee" on the phone (using # from their site) Lee said they couldn't sell top+back piece alone, and I'm waiting for a callback to find out if they can just sell the fittings alone. I'll post back on it.

EDIT: Got the callback. The fittings are around $8 each and can be purchased by calling Tanks,Inc using the # from their website.

FTR, the sizes on the male threads are same as female - 1/4-NPT female, 1/4-NPT male, with a 3/8 barb coming out of the 1/4-NPT male side. I figured out the male side when I test-fitted a stock 67-72 pickup radiator petcock into the top plate Up-close pics:

http://satellitehead.com/uploads/pumptap1.jpg
http://satellitehead.com/uploads/pumptap2.jpg

Just posting this info in case someone else stumbles upon it - and as a general warning to anyone who buys this setup - these fittings are brass, very soft, and shear off really easily, and they "dent" even easier, as the pic shows. These fittings are probably the single weak link of this pump housing setup, which is otherwise a superior product to anything else I've seen on the market.

Last edited by shifty`; 01-30-2007 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Look at the first fitting on this page. http://www.brassfast.com/swivelhosef...rsadaptors.htm

Quick Reply: fuel fitting mystery