Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo questions, yes I read the FAQ's!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Smile Turbo questions, yes I read the FAQ's!

Skip to the last two paragraphs to see what I am trying to get at!

First off, I will admit, I am a total newbie when it comes to turbos or any form of boost. I have a GTP and it was the car that got me peaked into learning about the cars and the effects of what happens when you tweak with part X. I do my own tuning with hardware that is geared particularly for our 3.8 W-body market. I am already getting ready to order up my first all out turbo kit for the car and bolt it on, looking for 450 WHP or around that range, I want to be able to run low 11's high 10's with it, just because I am a freak with a family four door that wants to make sure it can stay with its big brother when time comes to play!

But this post isn't about my GTP... it is about my TA.

My goals for the car are to have it be a low 10 DD high 9 with slick maybe and keep the A/C . I have looked over the many options for the F-body and a good majority of them that make excess of 500+ WHP w/o the juice are boosted. Someday I may try to juice, my only problem with it is thinking of only getting 3 - 5 good runs with it and then haveing to fill up, which my understanding is close to the cost to fill up you gas tank and knowing me I would purge the hell out of it before I realized I was out!

But if anything now, you know what I am getting at, I want to go Turbo, and I know it isn't going to be cheap. Just for the experience and to say that I did it, I would like to build my own setup. I have went through and read the faq's but it still seems like I am missing something... It seems like it is easy but at the same time, I tell myself it can't be that easy, otherwise everyone would have turbo's on everything and wouldn't be investing in kits. Someone mentioned at the end of Black/SS Cost of Turbo FAQ, that if people learned to build their own kits, cost would drop 3 - 4k. Are there any books that people could recommend? Any particular websites? I have went through and sized turbos and have come up with the same things people recommend for sizes for our engines. Next issue I figured was probably the placement of the kit, which I figured I would do as close to scale of a drawing as possible in CAD and map out what I wanted to do and have it set up and make sure parts aren't hitting, that sounding a little too extreme?

I always figure it is best to error on the side of caution, I hate to blow things up, but do know, things happen, it is part of the game. I always refer back to the saying of you can only pick two, Fast, Cheap, Reliable, myself, I pick the first and last, I will spend the extra cash to make sure I am not stranded on the side of the road or haveing to trailer my car home!

So anyone have recommendations on places to start answering my questions? Any skills in particular to learn? I figure as much as welding, and I have access to a full shop with lift whenever I want for working on the car and storage if a long down time ever comes up. Looking for the hands on experience, it is my car, and I want a hand in making it what I want it, don't want to pay someone else to have that fun!