Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Started header install - I need to let out my feelings

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 08:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Started header install - I need to let out my feelings

Well..my Pacesetter headers + ORY arrives tomorrow $519 shipped (with gaskets, o2 extensions, bolts)

So today I decided to get the car ready and remove the stock exhaust. It took about 4 hours. That included two trips to AutoZone and one trip to the bathroom for band-aids.

That isn't too bad for me doing everything by myself, right?

I broke 2 extensions. Those damn catalytic convertor bolts are tight/rusty! Only snapped one though.

Driver side manifold was pretty easy to remove..passenger side had some hard to get to bolts. Oh well, at least there was only 6 on each side and not 12 or so like Mustangs.

The install should be easier than removal of stock parts?

I have to go tend to my wounds now.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A little bit easier yes. Those hard to get to bolts are gonna creep back into the picture. It will be hit or miss if you can get the drivers side to slide right in. You may have to undo the steering linkage or undo the motor mount bolt and jack the motor up a smidge. I jacked up the motor for mine. You might get lucky and have them slide right in. Good luck with the install. There are plenty of install threads if you get stuck. If you can't find the answer, we'll be here if you need us.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

i don't know if you are doing a spark plug swap as well, but if your careful you can put the spark plugs in first and then put the headers in...it makes it alot easier....
Old 12-28-2006, 10:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed pacesetters not too long ago. I didin't have to undo any stearing linkage or unbolt the motor to jack it up. There's a square chunk of block on the drivers side that has got to come off. I removed it with a grinder, but a sawsaw should work if you don't have one. While the headers are off I would suggest replacing the plugs and wires, or at the least the plugs they're a pita to get to. You should get a hand to help you start a bolt in the front while you hold up the header from below. It's almost impossible to do with out another set of hands.
-Good luck, I know it sucks but it's worth it
Old 12-28-2006, 10:58 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The higher the car is off the ground the better. Header almost needs to be vertical to go in the passenger side. Taker the plugs out so you dont break them dont put new ones in until the headers are on for the same reason. You may or may not have to grind the block tab off. Are they race version? I moved the starter to get mine in but they arent pacesetters. Old exaust can be a giant PIA, you did good. Have a beer! Install is about the same as what you've alreay gone thru. If you remove the secondary air stuff its a lot easier as well.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:00 AM
11 Second Club

Yes my Pacesetters are race version.

Now I have something else to bitch about...UPS...

My headers were scheduled to be delievered tomorrow, like stated above. Well, I just checked tracking and they were rescheduled to be delievered 1/3/07 (Wednesday). Great! My car is up on jackstands with no exhaust. F&%$ UPS. Well I guess I get to drive my truck this weekend and wait 5 more days to put my headers on.

Here is a UPS story for your enjoyment.

I live in Olive Branch, MS (appox ~10 mile from UPS hub in Memphis, TN and approx ~miles from UPS hub in Hernando, MS) I ordered a package from Atlanta, GA. Here is the path of the package..

Atlanta, GA -> Jacksonville, FL
Jacksonville, Fl -> Birmingham, AL
Birmingham, AL -> Jackson, MS
Jackson, MS -> Hernando, MS (now at this point you say, "ok it should go out for delivery. WRONG)
Hernando, MS -> Memphis, TN
Memphis, TN -> Hernando, MS
Hernando, MS -> Out for delivery

^^ Make any sense?!?!?!?!??!? ^^^ That stupid move made me wait for my package 2 extra days..

I hate UPS.

If it was FedEx, it would be here in 1 day wrapped in diamonds and birthday cake because FedEx kicks ***.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:10 AM
Banned

LMAO!! You have heard about UPS no left hand turn policy havent you? Saves them tons of time supposedly. I had a package that was supposed to arrive and it didnt. I go online and it says no one there to deliver to. I was home all day. They never came, never left a note. Total bullshit. Most of the time UPS is good around here though.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:41 AM
11 Second Club

I hate fedex and love ups. We have had different experiences no doubt. As for the headers, my passenger side slid right in. The drivers side i had to beat the floor in a bit and then it slid right in. Im not into grinding on my aluminum block. Ill take the easy road first.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:50 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can, while you're in there, I'd replace the stock rubber motor mounts with poly mounts. It'll keep the y-pipe from banging and is a real bitch to do with the exhaust in the way.

Sort of like replacing the optispark on the LT1. While you're in there, you might as well replace the water pump and everything else in the way because you know it's gonna start leaking if you don't... just to **** you off.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

UPS Rules. I've worked there for 11 1/2 years now.

I've seen that a lot though. Might have been a misload. It happens frequently. Especially if you live right on the border of a state. I hate FedEx. They won't driver release to my apartment. So since I'm working at UPS and never home to get my package, after 3 attempts they'll return to sender. I have to go through a song and dance to get my package. I'll stick to UPS and intercept my package in the hub.

But this will get you 5 more days of prep time to read up on all the good install info.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SweeTbone

But this will get you 5 more days of prep time to read up on all the good install info.
Ouch!
Old 12-29-2006, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My pacesetter race headers slid in fine on both sides with no cutting, banging, moving of items. Definitely do the plugs while your at it. While your waiting for the headers to arrive, it sounds like a good time to take your TB off and do some porting.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

i worked at the ups in jacksonville before i did what im doing now......its the biggest ups hub, so they usually send EVERYTHING in the southeast through there...trust me if you want something NOT broken....dont send it ups....
Old 12-31-2006, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

i just installed mine about a month ago. screw grinding and all that jacking ****. bring the car up as high as u can and do some wiggling and itll go through mine did atleast. if u want to hear some noice run it open for a little bit cause its funny as hell when u start it at 3 in the morning. the neighbors loved it haha. it sounds great man good luck
Old 12-31-2006, 02:32 PM
On The Tree

to make thngs alot easeier loosen your coil packs so that you can move around them that is about the only thing you will need to do though. also i reccomend the plugs and wires while your at it cause it does make a differnce.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by z28maroman
to make thngs alot easeier loosen your coil packs so that you can move around them that is about the only thing you will need to do though. also i reccomend the plugs and wires while your at it cause it does make a differnce.

I bought the NGK TR55s...I'll have to do wires later on. All my funds are gone.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

I did my Pacesetter race headers and ORY about 3 weeks ago and I jacked up the motor on the driver side. I slotted my gaskets on the ends and just dropped them in place once I got both bolts at the ends started. Buy some Universal joint wobble sockets or the adapter kind. They made my job a whole lot easier and I still beat my hands up and cut my arms nonetheless. Do the plugs at the same time too or you will really be kicking yourself.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:59 PM
11 Second Club

Well...I guess it was worth the wait...

But since UPS just now delivered at 6:00pm..I'll install tomorrow so I don't have to work til midnight. Also Pacesetter sent some very nice copper gaskets.

Last edited by jetlag; 01-03-2007 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:49 PM
Banned

that looks like a pretty raspy setup!
Old 01-03-2007, 07:31 PM
TECH Resident

looks like a good setup, it'll be worth the wait I think.....