Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0 in a jeep

Old 12-28-2006, 10:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.0 in a jeep

I am putting a 6.0L in a '97 Wrangler and was wondering what options are out there for a wiring harness. The engine I'm geting does not have one. I was looking at the Painless kit. Any suggestions?
Old 12-28-2006, 11:15 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check out our sponsors - - - - - - - >
Speartech makes nice custom harnesses from scratch that will only include the wires you need and get rid of the stuff you don`t.
Or if your looking for a little lower buget pick up a used truck harness and send it to jesse at wait4meperfromance and he will rework it.
Or you can pick up a used harness and rework it yourself, the sticky FAQ at the top has a bunch of wiring info in it to help with reworking the harness.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:44 PM
Teching In

I just finished a Ls1 '97 Wrangler project, and used a Painless harness with good results. They are really a piece of cake, a couple wires to hook up and you are done. I guess it depends on how "painless" you want it to be on whether they are worth the extra money. I don't know if you already have an ECU, but I bought a motor with no wiring/ecu and bought their new perfect system that comes with a custom programmed ecu and it is making great power. I hope to have some video soon - good luck with your swap!
Attached Thumbnails 6.0 in a jeep-ls1-640-res-010.jpg   6.0 in a jeep-ls1-640-res-007.jpg   6.0 in a jeep-ls1-640-res-005.jpg  
Old 12-30-2006, 04:00 PM
Teching In

That looks awsome. I called Speartech and they want more than Painless. I did manage to get a ECU for the engine so all I need is the harness. Did you make your own motor mounts?
Old 12-30-2006, 05:27 PM
Teching In

I bought a set of weld-in motor mounts from advance adapters, part #713088. I think they are only a little over $100 and for that price I think it sure beats the time it takes to fab some up. They come with a handy little tool to locate them on the frame rails too. These mounts will fit the engine very close to the firewall, which is good for fan clearance, etc, and my drivetrain also moved about 2 inches farther forward, which improved my rear driveshaft angle, but also required some other fabrication with my trans mount, shift linkage, etc. Well worth the trouble though, you won't be able to wipe the smile off your face
Old 01-11-2007, 11:05 PM
On The Tree

What kinda times are you guys running? I've got the opportunity to pick up a '99 Grand Cherokee for cheap with a high-mileage 4.7L V8 in it. I'm thinking getting everything to work - 4WD and all the wiring - would make this a huge nightmare. But I think it'd be a pretty sick vehicle when it was done.

Just curious. Good luck with your Wrangler and hope I didn't hijack your thread too much!
Old 01-12-2007, 07:00 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 6.0 in a Jeep

I put a 4.8 in a 98 Jeep and it runs great.

I used a Howell harness and computer. Works great.

Made my own motor mounts and yes it moves the engine and trans forward 2-3 inches.

You really don't have much choice on engine placement. Heads about 1/2 inch away from firewall and right exhaust manifold 3/8 inch from upper control arm mount.

I'm using Hooker street rod headers.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:58 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fuzzylogic
What kinda times are you guys running? I've got the opportunity to pick up a '99 Grand Cherokee for cheap with a high-mileage 4.7L V8 in it. I'm thinking getting everything to work - 4WD and all the wiring - would make this a huge nightmare. But I think it'd be a pretty sick vehicle when it was done.

Just curious. Good luck with your Wrangler and hope I didn't hijack your thread too much!
I haven't made it to the track yet, when I do I'll post some info, prob in the spring.

As far as the 4.7L swap, it would actually be pretty easy, but not sure how much of an upgrade it would be. If you have a 4 cyl, then it's not a bad swap, but if you have the HO six you are only going to go from 190hp to 235hp. I had a cam and exhaust in my old I-6, and made every bit as much power as that 4.7 would.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

Well, I'd be swapping in a H/C LSx, rather than the 4.7L. I was just thinking it might actually be a do-able swap without a crazy amount of money fabricating stuff, both being V8s. Which I know can really have nothing to do with how much fabrication is involved...and the wiring and 4WD, I just don't know.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6.0 in a jeep