Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blew out a spark plug, Could that cause more oil consumption? (NON LS1).

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Blew out a spark plug, Could that cause more oil consumption? (NON LS1).

My brother has a Mazda protégé never used a drop of oil before until one day he was going around 75 MPH down a HWY when all the sudden one of the four spark plugs blew out. He then babied it home in the middle of the desert on three cylinders (without a spark plug in on one of the cylinders) for around 100 HWY miles. After he got it home the next day he replaced the head with a brand new head. Now he gets a half a quart every 300 miles. What do you think the problem is? Is it possible he messed up a piston ring driving it home on three cylinders? BTW he disabled the injector going to that cylinder. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SmaknaSS
My brother has a Mazda protégé never used a drop of oil before until one day he was going around 75 MPH down a HWY when all the sudden one of the four spark plugs blew out. He then babied it home in the middle of the desert on three cylinders (without a spark plug in on one of the cylinders) for around 100 HWY miles. After he got it home the next day he replaced the head with a brand new head. Now he gets a half a quart every 300 miles. What do you think the problem is? Is it possible he messed up a piston ring driving it home on three cylinders? BTW he disabled the injector going to that cylinder. Thanks in advance.
It sounds like ya'll "washed the cylinder down" Unless you disconnected the injector then you sprayed fuel down a cylinder for countless cycles during your 100 mile highway drive. This will cause excessive wear and finally oil consumption in that cylinder because your rings are no longer sealing.

Damn, just reread that you disconnected the injector so that throws my theory out the window. Maybe check the plugs to see if it can be isolated to a cylinder. Maybe a compression check?

Last edited by S1LV3R; 12-29-2006 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, that open spark plug hole could be sucking debris in and out of the combustion chamber. That is less likely than washing rings down, but could lead to excessive wear in the cylinder walls.

Does that spark plug have oil deposits on it now?
Old 12-29-2006, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hammertime
Well, that open spark plug hole could be sucking debris in and out of the combustion chamber. That is less likely than washing rings down, but could lead to excessive wear in the cylinder walls.

Does that spark plug have oil deposits on it now?
The spark plug does not have oil on it now. The gas mileage has not changed at all, just the oil consumption. Is it possible he damaged and oil ring somehow? I'm going to check the compression but I dont think that really has anything to do with the oil ring.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SmaknaSS
The spark plug does not have oil on it now. The gas mileage has not changed at all, just the oil consumption. Is it possible he damaged and oil ring somehow? I'm going to check the compression but I dont think that really has anything to do with the oil ring.
If its not on the plug, I don't see how it could be the oil ring. If the oil ring can't control it, then its going into the chamber, no place else.

I reread too, and noticed he had replaced the head. I'd check any PCV hoses and valves for oil, and check closely around the valve cover, etc. A quart has to go someplace in 300 miles.