General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

scariest accident/close call

Old 12-29-2006, 04:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scariest accident/close call

let's hear about your scariest accident/close call in your fbody. i'll start:

i was on my way to school one morning (in my 97 Z) comming down I35 with some pretty heavy rain. it had just let up as i was leaving new braunsfels and i was running late so i figured i'd pick up a little time. i'm cruising at about 50mph but kick it up to ~60mph when suddenly i hit a slick spot on the road surface (oil i assume). the car busts a 180 as i slide across all lanes of traffic (flying down the highway backwards) and then catapults me off the embankment. my car slammed hard into the ditch before managing to pop back out, swinging me around 180 degrees again to sit face forward in the center of my lane on the access road. my exhaust kit had been completely torn off going through the ditch, but otherwise they car was relatively okay. definitely one of the more frightening moments of my life, especially skidding accross the highway facing on comming traffic. there were cars, road signs and baracades everywhere, but i managed to miss them all. i count myself lucky, it could have been much uglier. needless to say, i am VERY cautious when driving in wet conditions now.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:45 PM
On The Tree

I was 17 years old and I had only had my lt-1 camaro for a few months and thought I was the **** driver. So I was going off the highway exit ramp and thought I'd see how fast I could take the corner. I was holding it at about 60 or so when I hit a joint in road surfaces and the rear end started to slowly come around on me. I tried to correct but couldnt in time. I ended up spinning around and sliding backwards and I was looking back over my shoulder looking at the guard rail getting closer. I curled up over the sterring wheel and said in my mind "Oh **** this is gonna hurt." Turns out I stopped about 6 inches shy of it. Turns out the tires will stop the car pretty fast when they are sliding sideways. I was so scared I didnt notice the car had stalled and tried to take off as traffic came up with me blocking the road. I was so scared and embaressed. I never tried any crap like that again. I want every 17 year old that wants a camaro to read this story and learn from it. Theres a time and place for opening a car up, and that wasn't it.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:00 PM
TECH Resident

Just 2 days ago a semi decided to go "right on red" The only problem was that it wasn't clear, because my car was pretty much in the intersection. VERY close. Needless to say I gave him the bird as hard as I could!
Old 12-29-2006, 05:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About 6 months ago me and a couple guys decided to race i was in my 89 RS, 2000 v6 mustang, and an 04 SI civic hatch. We all leave school head out there is this long fairly straight road not to far away but they decided to race on the highway. We lined up on a 55mph roll and all gunned our slow *** cars The SI was going close to 130mph I was roughly doing 110mph and the stang 105ish. We came up to this sweeping left hander and the civic lost control. He spun hit the gaurd rail and flipped 4 or 5 times across the road and landed on the other side. Me and the mustang had to drive through the debris on the road then we slammed on our brakes pulled over and ran to the civic. The driver was getting out his eye was bleeding a lil bit and his hand got caught under the car when it rolled and messed it up pretty good. The passanger dislocated this shoulder. I just thank god things wernt worse.
Come to find out the passange in the SI got scared when the curve came up and pulled the e-brake up at 130mph, not the best idea.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:08 PM
TECH Resident

i havn't had many close calls but the closest i can think of was when i was merging onto the freeway it was probably about 50 degrees out dry concrete roads and BF goodrich KDW's well anyway i usually leave it in third gear and have a real nice 30-80 mph pull going onto the highway well with the extra power my car gained from headers combined with concrete roads and summer tires well she broke loose pretty good on me around 60-70 mph not a good feeling going sideways at that speed on a slight right hand bend
Old 12-29-2006, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

Scary stuff guys! Glad you're okay!

My scariest moment was on I294 going 75 miles per hour. All of sudden my car starts to pull to the right, gradually harder and harder. Within seconds, my passenger tire blew, just exploded. My car pulled completely to the right, still going aroudn 75 and I came within inches of smashing into another car. As I veered over (mostly against my will), a semi came blaring past and again, I was almost pulverized, haha. Luckily, I made it to the right shoulder, and changed the tire out. Drove home the rest of the way on the donut. Except for the rim, the car was completely unharmed. 4 new tires and an SS rim didn't exactly fit into my budget at the time though
Old 12-29-2006, 05:11 PM
Teching In

Ya know whats funny about that, is that he got scared, thought it was an 'emergency' so he pulled the 'emergency brake'. My wife (well, before we were married) was in a wreck, and after the wreck she pulled the 'emergency brake' because of the situation she was in. Kids.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:12 PM
Launching!

LoL @ pulling the e-brake going 130.

Anyways...

My first time in snow in my v6 I was driving down the road going to work. I was only goin 40 cause it wasn't that bad. So I was driving along and I went over a bridge and hit a patch of ice or something and my car just starts doin 360's. I was scared as hell. But I managed to stay on the road.

Same thing happened in the rain bu this time I did a 180 and flew over a ditch into a field and then went back into the ditch. Bent my muffler and I broke my armrest by flyin into it.

I've never got hurt in an accident. Hopefully I never do.

=\
Old 12-29-2006, 05:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by streetassasin
passanger in the SI got scared when the curve came up and pulled the e-brake up at 130mph,
holy crap was he planning on drifting that **** through the corner good god chalk another one up for inexperience further showing that some kids cant handle themselves in cars that can reach those speeds
Old 12-29-2006, 05:14 PM
Launching!

just thought of another...

was heading out to my gf's house one night in the middle of nowhere. she's following me about 2 car lengths back. we come passing by this one road that intersects the one we are on. we have the right of way and are traveling at about 50mph. a truck comes barreling down the other road and without ever even tapping the brakes blows right through his stop sign and across the road we're on. i saw him comming and mashed the gas at the last second and just skirted out of his way by perhaps a foot as he passed right in between my gf and i. i thought i was going to get clipped on the back end and spin. she had to slam on her brakes to avoid broadsiding this *******. he never even so much as slowed down... it was like he never even saw us there. must have been drunk as all hell... but i wanted to beat his *** for such lack of observation.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BananaHead
Scary stuff guys! Glad you're okay!

My scariest moment was on I294 going 75 miles per hour. All of sudden my car starts to pull to the right, gradually harder and harder. Within seconds, my passenger tire blew, just exploded. My car pulled completely to the right, still going aroudn 75 and I came within inches of smashing into another car. As I veered over (mostly against my will), a semi came blaring past and again, I was almost pulverized, haha. Luckily, I made it to the right shoulder, and changed the tire out. Drove home the rest of the way on the donut. Except for the rim, the car was completely unharmed. 4 new tires and an SS rim didn't exactly fit into my budget at the time though
i had an experience sort of like that i was cruising on the highway cruise was set at about 80 and i heard a really loud noise come from the passenger side rear wheel well and shortly after that was pulling pretty damn good to the right, tire went flat and couldn't even get off the highway fast enough because there was an onramp right there by the time i got it to a stop my right rear tire was smoking and to top it all off i lost my locking lug nut key a couple days before i couldn't even put my spare on

but anyway an f-body can handle a rear flat at 80 mph pretty surprisingly well it turns out i had a quarter inch bolt that was stuck in my tire and the loud noise i heard was it being thrown into my wheel well at 80
Old 12-29-2006, 05:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1994Z28Lt1
i lost my locking lug nut key

DOH!
Old 12-29-2006, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow, some scary stories here. the worst thing that happened to me is when i was 17, i was in my dads 00 drop top vette. we were hauling *** down a long straight road, i was up at around 140, and out of nowhere we hit thick fog. we were in it for 15 seconds. couldnt see the road at all. luckily, we came out of it. definitely the longest few seconds of my life.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:02 PM
Launching!

my brother also had a flat rear right on the I44 turnpike at 80 in his 01 ws6. tire just blew out but he said it held surprisingly well for him to get over on the shoulder. also had lost his lock lugnut key . my only bad experiences were in my 72 chevy truck when i slid in the rain right through a stop sign with two cars waiting at the perpendicular stop signs (4way), luckily, they were paying attention. i waved as i went through it. also, i spun around on a left turn at a stoplight and faced traffic, i was first car and was embarrassing to watch everyone go by me. many more stupid stories but not enough time to write
Old 12-29-2006, 06:19 PM
Staging Lane

Worst for me..

Drifting an 85 S10 Blazer(bigtime modded) on a wicked long curvy dirt road.

It was almost a slalom like road. I was into probably the third or fourth turn before the *** walked out just a little bit. I eased off the throttle and the truck swung HARD.

I had a really good friend in the truck who is notorious for his level headedness in bad situations.

So, doing 45+ MPH with the nose exactly 90 degrees from where it should be isn't exactly the safest thing out there. But it was great fun. I started to look ahead, really hoping that the tires don't catch. And sure enough, there's a 6 foot berm. About now my buddy quips "Uh oh. Flash backs." In the most calm manner ever.

I stopped 13 inchs from a pretty dramatic elevation change. It'd'a destroyed the truck without a doubt.

You know what they say, practice makes perfect. And, of course, after this I chose to only drift vehicles with lockers in them. And perferably cars.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:46 PM
TECH Regular

i was on an on-ramp entering the interstate and it had been drizzling rain. it is an easy on ramp that sweeps right entering the interstate. i was well into 5th (4.56 gear) when i made a "rookie" mistake. i missed 6th and found 4th. keep in mind i am sweeping right. well, the rear managed to lock up and the *** end tried to swap with the nose. i made a sharp correction to the left and the *** end SNAPPED right so i corrected right all the way to the wheel lock. and all the car did was stay in this broad side slide across the interstate. i can remember thinking, "this feels fucked up, the tires should have bit by now". i stayed in this slide for what seemed like forever. perpindicular to the interstate and the median creeping closer. i was going to hit nose first in this ditch of a median and rip the front to shreds. at the last minute i finally mashed both feet into my brake pedal and the front tires bit HARD. the *** rotates and i go into the median *** first at a much nicer angle. i survey the damage to the car, nothing but dirt and mud every where. i clean the crap out of my wheels and a passerbye pulls me up out of the mud. as a am pulling away i here a loud clunk in the rear and just nasty noises on the way home. come to find out, when i missed the shift, i ripped the pinion apart. when that happened it locked up my rear and sent my on the fun ride. now i have 4.11's and more respect for my 5-6 shift at speed.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:49 PM
TECH Veteran

for you guys loosing your locking lug nut keys

put them in the center console, or glove compartment
Old 12-29-2006, 08:14 PM
TECH Resident

never had an incident ion the TA(knock on wood), but my GTPs tires blew to bits, i pulled to the side of the road and found out the orig owner took the damn tire iron out and never replaced it! I tried to pull the tire off with just pliers and the wheel lug nut key...didnt happen...my buddy came with one an hour later, sucked, but no crazy 360s with the bird....are TAs really that bad in the snow? what if they have very very good tire tread?
Old 12-29-2006, 08:20 PM
Staging Lane

Default damn

scary stuff
Old 12-29-2006, 08:38 PM
Staging Lane

A friend of mine just had an extremely lucky accident 2 weeks ago in his '00 black SS. His wife is 7 months pregnant and has had a little trouble with it. She was having contractions while he was at work, 40 miles away. He was flying home (said he "had it pegged", so about 150mph) on the highway and was coming up on a tractor-trailor in one lane and a car just slightly in front of the truck in the other. When he hit his brakes, there was nothing there. It was on a curve, so he couldn't take the burm. He decided to wait til the last minute and tried to split the gap between them. Well, when he decided he couldn't wait any longer, he made a quick turn. At the same time, the car decides to come over. However, it was too late and the rear of his car had already broken loose at about 90mph. His driver's side slid around hitting the car in the rear, which caused him to spin back the other way and he came back and t-boned the car in the pass. side doors before doing a couple 360's down off the road. Miraculously, nobody was hurt and his SS had mainly cosmetic damage. (Front bumper, headlight and assembly, cracked hood and door, fender and dent in the rear qtr.) Very lucky.

Search this Thread