Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

FMIC's that don't require removal of front license plate

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 06:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default FMIC's that don't require removal of front license plate

aight guys, especially TRT that i know of, who all has FMIC's that go near the front air dam or something of the similar that don't involve removing the front license plate?

I believe i talked to TRT at one point... bout to shoot a pm to ya here soon.

The story is I have a 5psi STS setup, that is going to stay at 5psi (yes i realize its addicting BUT, me no have cash to keep throwing out to play higher)

SO, at 5psi... and at roughly 470hp (guesstimate) I would like to find an intercooler that is good for my setup.

Frost has told me about high flow FMIC's....but idk where you can buy them now
Old 12-29-2006, 07:03 PM
TECH Resident

5 psi isn't going to be worth it. You're looking at 60 or so degrees increase in temp, maybe less since its all the way in back of the car. An intercooler might be able to drop that 45 degrees, or 4% power which would likely be worth 15 -20 hp on your car. You think that's worth the install? Try homemade water injection or a Mr Freeze.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Since I live in Canada I need a front plate I put a FM Precision Turbo Intercooler without removing plate. Just need to remove that foam bumper thing.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

One several kits I've built, I've mounted it parallel under the cross member. I cut out the bottom of the fascia to make room and mount a fan on it and that works great.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:30 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by andereck
5 psi isn't going to be worth it. You're looking at 60 or so degrees increase in temp, maybe less since its all the way in back of the car. An intercooler might be able to drop that 45 degrees, or 4% power which would likely be worth 15 -20 hp on your car. You think that's worth the install? Try homemade water injection or a Mr Freeze.
I agree. A methanol injection kit would work just as well with less invested, for your application, such as the one below. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=880 Bob
Old 12-29-2006, 11:45 PM
TECH Resident

see, the thing with the methanol injection is i would have to refill it and refill it.... with the FMIC I hook it all up and don't worry about it. I do understand that the IC would cost more, I just don't feel like having to refill something else, I would much rather have the IC, just a personal thing
Old 12-30-2006, 07:38 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

We had one guy use our front mount intercooler kit without cutting the front out. From what I hear it is working okay for him. You do get some flow through where the fog lights were. Bob
Old 12-30-2006, 03:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
see, the thing with the methanol injection is i would have to refill it and refill it.... with the FMIC I hook it all up and don't worry about it. I do understand that the IC would cost more, I just don't feel like having to refill something else, I would much rather have the IC, just a personal thing
I totally understand, I just don't think that the temperature will increase enough to cause detonation trouble in your application.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:42 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by andereck
I totally understand, I just don't think that the temperature will increase enough to cause detonation trouble in your application.

Well let's be honest here.... it always starts at something like 5psi. The next thing you know, it's tuned and working, and you realize that 7-9 psi is just a spin of the **** and a few tune changes away.

His mention of my reference of "high flow" intercoolers is actually Hi Flo's front mount, which somehow went UNDER the front end. Anyone have pics of their front mount with their Hi Flo kits?
Old 12-30-2006, 05:43 PM
TECH Resident

I'm also in the same boat. Except I'm gonna be shooting for more like 7.5 to 8lbs of boost once I go turbo... mounting it parallel seems okay of an idea... with a high powered low-profile fan on top of it, I guess it would be practical for a daily/weekend racer application. Comments?
Old 12-30-2006, 09:54 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Smearin has some pics of his hi-flo kit; one of them is the intercooler..... check it out: https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/489567-my-hi-flo-single-pics.html
Old 12-30-2006, 10:11 PM
Coal Mining Director

You could use small twins like a Procharger kit.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:27 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by onfire
You could use small twins like a Procharger kit.
I thought of that also, good idea!

We have a low mileage take off from a 98-02 fbody twin 3.5" kit, give me a call if your interested.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:47 PM
TECH Resident

would those be good for 5psi and not get maxed out? also, how would i route the tubing from the STS with how it is now? like it has the pipe that makes the turn to go up towards the fans... and then what.. lol

I'm going to seriously say that my car is staying at 5psi. I wanted a 450HP+ daily driver that would put you in the seat when u got on it and be a thrill to drive, well thats what I have now and I honestly do not want to spend more money on making more performance gains cept these last few to help everything work better together such as a front mount and possibly 2 bar map sensor setup and tune.

I'm going to be finishing college for my last 1.5years and need to start saving more and spending my time on more ROI things (return of investment). I might sound silly but thats how i'm going to be doing soon. I will not get out of the modding scene as it always thrills me, but the wrench time on getting performance out of my car has stopped, maintaining it is going to be the majority of it now.

So that being said, what front mounts should I go with? just get the ATI twin setup? or have a custom size made to go right at the radiator from TRT?, as they said they could make me anysize, which I greatly appreciate the info from them and I have always looked forward to talking to them on this forum and in business, as they have always been on here and helping out

Last edited by ZL1Killa; 12-31-2006 at 12:05 AM.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Turbo ls1 ss has some pics of his too

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/545409-hi-flo-install-pictorial.html
Old 01-01-2007, 01:19 AM
TECH Resident

nice.. ima lookin into it, thanks for the info, and FROST I greatly thank you for your help. Hopefully we can meet at the Food lion autofair or something.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:03 AM
TECH Addict

this should help.

http://www.jlturbo.com/pictures/sts/...ercooler13.jpg
Old 01-04-2007, 05:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Need to upgrade to front mount Intercooler?

I am going to upograde to a front mount intercooler in my Camaro. I dont want to cut open the front clip, or hack my car up.
Is there a easier alternative to have a front mount work properly without all the cutting?
Old 01-04-2007, 07:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

do a search this topic has been discussed quite frequently.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Intercooler help.

I posted this earlier and the topic got closed.
I did a search and didnt find what I was looking for.
I found threads for the T/A's and LT1 cars which are turbo.

I want some info on how people go about not cutting the car up to use a front mount intercooler. Im also looking for pics of LS1 camaro's with the front clip on.

Quick Reply: FMIC's that don't require removal of front license plate