Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repalce front seal during converter swap?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 09:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repalce front seal during converter swap?

I have not heard many people mention that they replace the seal when they swap the converter. I plan on doing mine but is it very difficult? I have replaced seals in other area's of other cars but I have yet to do a front seal for a trans. Is there anything special I should do like using permatex number one or just put it in dry. If any one can give me some tips to avoid headaches I would appreciate it.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:31 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it is not leaking do not replace it. You can create a leak very easily by not having the proper installation tool for a frt pump that has the input shaft inserted through it. Just because there is a seal in a difficult to get to location, and you're going to be in that area doing something else, is not enough of a reason IMHO to risk creating a problem.

Been there done that and was really really dissapointed in myself!

g
Old 12-30-2006, 04:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although, itf you are confident in installiing a new seal, do it. It is cheap insurance to keeping it from leaking. Seal could be partially hadened and a timebomb to begin with. Swapping converters could set it off and spring a leak........