Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

converter intsall..what to expect?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 11:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Default converter intsall..what to expect?

well i have transmision fluid, and filter, and my converter do i need anything else for theinstall? also i have seen a bunch of horror stories lately abou not beng able to get the flexplate bolts out and such, should i be worried about this on my 20k mile car? I'm not afraid of work, but i don't like running into problems that i an't fix on the spot. Will i be able to reuse my stock converter bolts? do i ned a new flexplate? sorry for the questions guys...
Old 12-30-2006, 03:50 PM
11 Second Club

someone its hard to get straight answers on here. so far i have figured out that the 02 car flexplates suck, and should be replaced but the TCI one doesn't work very well with my YANK, and the flexplate bolts suck ***** and are hard to get off....what am i missing
Old 12-30-2006, 03:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why wont a TCI work with a Yank converter?
Old 12-30-2006, 05:15 PM
11 Second Club

i don't know?? does it work? lol..i was reading a thread saying that the holes dont work with it? maybe its true maybe its not, thats why i need difinitive answers..
Old 12-30-2006, 05:27 PM
TECH Resident

Ive never herd that, but i will find out when my tranny gets back and i put everything back together. I have a PT4400 and a TCI flywheel ill keep you updated
Old 12-30-2006, 07:17 PM
11 Second Club

sounds good! where did you did you get your flexplate if i may ask?
Old 12-30-2006, 07:39 PM
TECH Resident

i got mine from thunder racing
Old 12-30-2006, 07:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

ATI makes a flexplate for our cars, has anyone tried out their flexplate yet?
Old 12-30-2006, 08:12 PM
FormerVendor

The issue with negative feedback on the TCI flexplates (as I understand it) is that they manufactured the torque converter attaching bolt holes larger than the factory 10mm size hole. It was done that way to accomodate their converter I believe. It should pose no issue it the powder coating is scraped off around the holes and red locktite is used with new bolts.

As far as getting the converter out. It can be tough laying on your back. Been there done that. Whatever you do disconnect the battery first! If you leave the cable at the starter connected when you remove it, it will short and create massive electrical problems. Then remove the starter. Then rotate the engine and remove the T/C bolts being careful to not round them off... use a good socket.

After that, remove the driveshaft, linkage, crossmember, cooler lines and electrical connector. Thats the rundown on how to get it out right?

As far as installing the converter to the transmission... it will be fully seated when you cannot slide your hand between the converter and the pump. When installing it be careful not to disturb the pump seal, support the converter from the bottom as you insert it. Once it is up on the pump stator and input shaft begine to rotate it either direction while pushing forward slightly. You will hear a clunk or two. Then ck to be sure it is fully seated. Hope this helps.

g
Old 12-31-2006, 12:01 AM
11 Second Club

thanks that helps quite a bit..i have a write-up of step by step how to do it, but i just didnt want to get in the middle of it and then find out i need these bolts, and that gasket and all this stuff i didnt know about before
Old 12-31-2006, 04:53 PM
FormerVendor

Let us know how it turns out for ya! If you need something else just ask away.

g
Old 12-31-2006, 05:14 PM
11 Second Club

thanks man. I think i'm gonna go at it this thursday and friday. Just trying to get read up and collect all the parts i need....
Old 12-31-2006, 08:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I have been working on mine the last two days. So I will share with you the issues I faced. I spent Saturday prepping the car unhooking electrical and getting the top trans bolts off. These bolts where actually pretty easy to get. Then I took the bolt out for the dipstick tube and yeah that was fun. Thank goodness I have long arms. I called it a day and drove to get my friends trans jack. The two most time consuming things where the torque convertor bolts and pulling the trans itself off the dowels. I have a small pencil torch from harbor freight and I could not get the TC bolts loose so I hit it with the pencil torch and got them all out. I was afraid of stripping cause I have a 98 with allen heads. I would think the torque bit ones would be even more easy to do this to. I dot know if this really worked but it gave me more confidence to pull harder on the bolts. Once those were out trying to get the trans disconnected was the toughest thing. We could not get it loose for anything. So I just soaked the dowels and waited then pulled the access cover on the drivers side and it pryed and pryed. I was so happy when it finally popped. I know that if I was to do it again I could have saved myself close to 4 hrs and be done today. Now I just have to basically put the starter back up and connect all the stuff I took off on Saturday. Good luck and if you have any quesions just ask.