Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need a few SMALL peices to complete your INT swap?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 01:49 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a few SMALL peices to complete your INT swap?

Well, I have a few small piece's that I do not have yet for my tan to ebony int swap. Dyeing plastic is nothing new to me, I've done it a lot in the past, so I figured that I would do a little write up.

First you need the dye. I have always had great luck with RIT dye. It comes in powder or liquid, and a variety of colors. When I first started using dye, I used the powder and was told the liquid doesn't work well at all. I eventually tried the liquid and loved it, and the fact that you can store some for next time, vs mixing all the powder up at once..

First you need the few small pieces you wanna dye, and a pot big enough to hold them. I used a small pot I found in the pots and pans draw, mom will never know ... Add enough hot water ( hot as you can get from the sink to speed boiling time ) to cover the parts, and put them on the stove.

I like to ad a bit of salt to the water to raise its boiling point, but IDK if this matters at all, just something I do. Add your rit dye, I usually use half a bottle for a regular sized pot. Let the parts sit and stew for a while until it comes to a boil. After it boils turn down the stove and wait a while

Heres where it changes depending on what color your using. When dyeing plastic pieces black, you don't have to worry about time. Just let them dye as long as you like, b/c there is no possible way for a part to get TOO black, unlike red/yellow/blue, other colors. if your going with another color, you should check the parts every 30 seconds or on the min, the color of the part can go from too light, to too dark in about that time, its weird, but you'll get the hang of it. Some may find it easier if you tie some string onto the parts before dying them, to make them easier to check, but if not, you can use some sort of utensil for this...

If the weathers nice, go a head and go do this on the grill, it can be messy, but if not, just be super careful and don't get your significant other, or lady of the house pissed at you for getting dye on something valuable lol...

If done right you should have parts that are a LOT more durable than painted parts, parts that can get scratched and still be black, instead of paint flaking off

These pieces were all tan before I dyed them.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wouldn't the parts warp or like melt while they were in the pot? This looks like an interesting way for me to dye my interior parts black. Where is this RIT dye found? Post up some pics when they're installed.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:05 PM
11 Second Club

rit is at walmart
Old 12-30-2006, 06:59 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Walmart... If you have a part sitting on the bottom of the pan, it might melt if you have the heat on high enough. Its better to have them suspended in the solution, some pieces will want to float, these you can flip like burgers every once and a while to get both sides.. I skimped out and let the seat belt holder sit on the bottom of the pan for ~5 mins on heat, and its fine...

This stuff is actually fabric dye, and I believe that it can be used on the clothes washer. But if you mix some extreamly hot water, rit dye, and salt, you could spray your carpet ( out of car ) and floor mats, along with the trunk flap... And brush it in and out, continue to let it sit/dry and keep going over it, and end up with dyed carpet...
Old 12-30-2006, 07:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmm, You think I can dye my set belts? Thats fabric. Guess I'd spray the hot solution on and wipe off.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:50 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

You could certainly try
Old 12-30-2006, 08:00 PM
TECH Regular

looks like a neat idea. would it work still on the bigger pieces too?
Old 12-30-2006, 08:23 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

yea if you could get a big enough pot full of hot water and enough rit dye
Old 12-30-2006, 09:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HotWhipT/A
Hmm, You think I can dye my set belts? Thats fabric. Guess I'd spray the hot solution on and wipe off.
I died the seat belts in my 70 Challenger when I restored it with this dye. I used the powder kind. They came out pretty good. The flash from the camera kind of threw the color off in this pic. They matched pretty good in person.

Quick Reply: Need a few SMALL peices to complete your INT swap?