Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

waxing.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 01:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default waxing.....

should i use mothers CLEANER wax then mequires gold or just mequires?....
Old 12-31-2006, 01:54 PM
TECH Regular

anyone please....?
Old 12-31-2006, 02:00 PM
Staging Lane

dude chill u gotta give it more than 10 minutes.lol. heres what you should do put down the cleaner and the gold class wax and go get yourself some nxt. That **** worked wonders when i had my black car. But if that stuff is all ya got just put on a couple coats of the megs and be done with it. Also if ya could spring for it go get yourself a good claybar,polish and microfibers.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by who281
should i use mothers CLEANER wax then mequires gold or just mequires?....
What I would do is save up and buy the Meguiars claybar kit, polish, and NXT (I believe they sell all of these products at like an Advanced Auto). Put like 3 drops of dish soap in a spray bottle and add water, then use the claybar with the dishsoap, not the detailer. After the claybar use your cleaner wax, then the polish, then the NXT wax (You can use the wax with more than one coat but all it does is take off the previous coat and put on another) and then use the detail spray they give you. I have also heard that the NXT detail spray works wonders, so that might be a future investment, but the stuff that comes in the Meguiars claybar kit is fine too.

Again, that's what I would do, but all I can say is it works great for me.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Porter Cable that sucka!....of course along with the other guys posts!
Old 12-31-2006, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you are doing it by hand, the Meg's 3 step is a good method to use .. no matter what method you choose, start out by washing, then claying the car, but DO NOT use dish soap as the lube to clay your car .. use the QD spray that comes with the clay kit, or a mixture of Car Soap and water .. not dish soap.

Meg's QD is a very good product ..

NXT Speed Detailer ... not so much . It is one of my least favorite Meg's products.

if you don't want to do the 3 step method, then proper order would be:

wash
clay
cleaner wax
NXT (if you wish)
Gold Class .. always carnuba after synthetic .. although I woudl recommend Meg's #26 or Mother's Pure Carnuba before Meg's Gold Class .. Gold class has an awesome shine, but it is the least durable of all the carnuba's that are readily available, imo.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I use mcguires "cleaner wax" combo. Works nice.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its also ok to mix brands. Mothers with meguiars and so on. But i just used the mothers 3 step system on a black zo6 and the result is a mirror finish.

Wash,clay(with fresh car soap),rinse,dry. I like to use the same brand system works the best. A cleaner wax,seal/glaze and carnauba wax. And try to use a orbital buffer to remove. To finish up use a micro fiber towel and quick detailer.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:26 PM
Launching!

Use a paint cleaner, and then follow it either with the step 2 (polish) or Mother's cleaner wax, and last but important, put on step 3 (wax only).
Old 12-31-2006, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

to add a little more here .. removing a synthetic or sealant with an orbital is fine .. but if you are removing a carnuba with an orbital, you run a chance of gumming up the bonnet, and micro marring your finish ..

I would recommend removing carnubas by hand, using a high quality MF, instead of an orbital and a MF bonnet.
Old 12-31-2006, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I also highly recommend the Meguiar's 3-step for beginning detailers. Easy process, satisfying results. I'm also an advocate for straying away from boutique detailer products until you're confident that you can produce a finish without marring your car in the process.

It's harder than it sounds. You're guaranteed to scratch your car up the first time or two.