General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Drivetrain noise: slight clunk downshifting, and slight tapping on long left turns

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 02:23 PM
Syn
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivetrain noise: slight clunk downshifting, and slight tapping on long left turns

I have two noises plaguing my car right now. It's an A4 GU5 car with 55,000 miles on it.

First off, I can hear a slight clunk when I come to a stop in my car. It sounds like it's right when the car downshifts back into 1st when I'm almost completely stopped. The pinion seal was leaking on me a couple of months ago so I got it replaced and at the same time had the fluid changed to synthetic (and yes they also put in the limited slip additive). After the fluid change I didn't notice the clunk anymore, but then it came back and has been doing it ever since. It's not too loud, but noticeable. Sometimes it doesn't do it, such as when I'm slowing down at a more gradual pace.

Second noise: exactly what was described in this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/547955-clattering-popping-drivetrain.html but a solution was never actually posted by the thread starter. I'm going to check out the solution that RompityRomp posted in the thread--a bad transmission mount. Any other ideas for either of my problems? I don't drive the car hard, but I've only had it since 49,000 miles so I can't speak for its history. I'm kind of disappointed that I'm already hearing driveline noise with 55k on the car, but hopefully it's not going to be expensive to fix. The car drives fine besides these noises..