Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

installing QTP HV 1-3/4" long tube headers

Old 01-01-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default installing QTP HV 1-3/4" long tube headers

i want to install QTP headers in my 2000 LS1 camaro. they told me to install them from underside of the car, is there any thing to remove in the way of installing the QTP headers from underneath the car?

thanks for help and hints.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No sir, but you will need to raise the car real high. As long as you know the special approach for the driver's side, nothing other than the old exhaust needs to be removed.

Special approach: The driver's side header needs to be "stood up" with the collector toward the ground, then move the flange end way up into the engine compartment past the oil pan and the k-member. Then turn/finesse the header into position so that the flange is horizontal.

Be patient. The first time I tried this it took some time, (I had to stop and drink a beer. I was getting pissed off!), but now that I know the proper approach, it only takes 10 seconds to get the driver's side in.

The passenger side goes in very easily.

Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2007, 04:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI, the QTP Y pipe doesnt fit very well at all.... to get it to fit, plan on some hacking, prying, and welding!!
Old 01-01-2007, 04:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the keys will be to get the car high up - like with 3 ton stands or you are going to be in for a fight.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DaddySS
One of the keys will be to get the car high up - like with 3 ton stands or you are going to be in for a fight.

Just jack it as high as you can while maintaining a certain level of safety, and you'll be fine. QTPs are known for having a longer collector than most headers, so just getting the car up a little probably wont cut it. Good luck!

-J
Old 01-01-2007, 04:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

for me to put mine on drivers side had to take of oil filter and drain plug,would not go until i did,i tried,oh yea had the car up high front tires bout 3 feet of ground.pasenger side well it wasent easy in & out about 5 times keept hitting k-member i heated it with a blowtorch hit with hammer till enough room. about 3/4 in clearnce.i dented k-member not header i could never dent that header to pretty!!
Old 01-01-2007, 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

oh yea i didnt even take out the plugs!!!
Old 01-01-2007, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had alot of trouble with mine but most people didn't have to do what i had to do.mine would not go in no mater what way i tried to put it in so i had to remove the steering shaft which rubbed something fierce so i had to modify it and i had to jack the motor up some also.both sides rubbed some on the k-member so i heated and bent them some since i forgot to knotch the k-member some. i don't think you will have the trouble i had,most people are able to slide them right in.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
Special approach: The driver's side header needs to be "stood up" with the collector toward the ground, then move the flange end way up into the engine compartment past the oil pan and the k-member. Then turn/finesse the header into position so that the flange is horizontal.
thanks for the replies. i will try ShevrolayZ28's way.

Search this Thread