Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

paint looks like SH*T

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paint looks like SH*T

about 3 weeks ago i used my pc on my car, my paint looked better than sex feels!! it was awesome. pretty much swirl free, lots of depth, lots of shine! but then it started raining for about a week. lots of rain, my car was full of dirt. it looked really bad. i washed it last night, and my paint looks like someone took a metal brush to it. lots of deep swirls, very dull looking. it just looks bad!

so my question is, once you use a pc, and u use some swirl remover, and other products, does ur clear coat or paint become sensative or vulnerable(sp?) to damage?

or was it just all the rain and dirt that F'ed up my paint?

thanks a lot!
Old 01-01-2007, 12:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm not an expert or anything, but if your car was smooth once you used your PC on it, then after a wash wasn't the cause of the marks.

Are you sure you weren't using a mit or a towel or something that had been dropped in sand? What was your method of washing.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have no choice but to wash it at a car wash. my drive way has dirt and gravel. i know that washing it at places like that will cause swirls, but ive never had my paint look like that after a wash at that place. it looks really bad. i always hose the brush to get any dirt particles off of the brush, i use water magnets to dry my car. my towels were not dirty.

how do y'all go about washing ur microfibers, or whatever y'all use to dry ur cars?
Old 01-01-2007, 02:03 PM
TECH Resident

washing machine for the microfibers
Old 01-01-2007, 02:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I wash my microfibers aprox 2 times...after that is better to discard them and get new ones.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:10 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by osvaldo
i have no choice but to wash it at a car wash. my drive way has dirt and gravel. i know that washing it at places like that will cause swirls, but ive never had my paint look like that after a wash at that place. it looks really bad. i always hose the brush to get any dirt particles off of the brush, i use water magnets to dry my car. my towels were not dirty.

how do y'all go about washing ur microfibers, or whatever y'all use to dry ur cars?
You're using a brush to wash your car??
Old 01-01-2007, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

well i have to. like i said i cant wash it at my house. i have to go to a car wash.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:15 PM
FormerVendor

well i have to. like i said i cant wash it at my house. i have to go to a car wash.
That's likely your problem. Just bring along a wash mitt or micro fiber sponge. Don't use the brush.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Automated car washes are evil. There is so much crap in the soap and water that you're very likely to end up worse than when you started, as you've discovered.

I only use waffle weave microfiber towels (like this one from one of our sponsors: http://www.brilexsolutions.com/stwawe24x36.html) to dry the car. To keep them clean, I like to wash my microfiber towels separately, in the warm setting on the washing machine (liquid detergent only), and add a little white vinegar to the rinse cycle (helps keep them soft and release more dirt). Rinse them twice, then tumble dry on low heat. DO NOT USE FABRIC SOFTENER! It gets trapped in the fibers and makes the towels less effective.

Also, it might be a technique problem. If you're rubbing (i.e. using moderate to heavy pressure) when drying, you're increasing the chances of swirl marks. Fold the towel into a small square (just a little larger than your hand) and glide it over the surface. The towel should wick the water away from the surface. Turn/re-fold the towel often, to keep as dry a surface as possible on the car.

-Mike
Old 01-01-2007, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

actually i dont rub my water magnet across my paint. i lightly dab the towel on the paint then fold it over and dab it again. i use two towels at a time so one is always dry enough to finish the job. i guess as long as i have to go to the car wash i will have to live with the swirls.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

i scrub mud and stuff off my truck and 4 wheeler. Trans am would never see a carwash.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:05 PM
Launching!

The brush is what made your paint look like ****.

I usually stay away from car washes with my Trans Am, I can count on my hand how many times I had to take it to the car wash last year. Also when I did I stood back quite aways when rinsing it down.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

do y'all think the power hose also ads swirls?
Old 01-01-2007, 05:08 PM
FormerVendor

do y'all think the power hose also ads swirls?
No, water can't swirl your paint.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:15 PM
Banned

I have to take my car to a car wash but i just use a wash mit and bring my own car wash and just use there water there i hate living in an apartment my car always looks like **** and i can't do a thing about it, one time i washed my car out here and they busted my ***
Old 01-01-2007, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

so i guess for now on i should take my own soap, 2 buckets, and a wash mit? that should cut down on the swirls huh? o also a brush for my rims...i'd have to do this when there are no people b/c they have signs that say not to wash by hand.

what kind of wash mit do yall recommend?

i've always thought that using wash mits or similar things would add swirls. those things look like dust traps. im afraid it will trap particles that will harm my paint.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not to be a dick, but if you don't know these basic car washing things, you shouldn't be using the PC. You're putting new swirls in....totally counterproductive.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:28 AM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Do it late at night no one there.

I use the car washes a lot actually. Just use their wands and soap, and spot free rinse, no brush...
Old 01-02-2007, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
not to be a dick, but if you don't know these basic car washing things, you shouldn't be using the PC. You're putting new swirls in....totally counterproductive.
i know the brush at the car wash COULD add swirls, but for the 2 years ive had my car, ive always washed it there. ive never had my car look like this after a wash. i thought maybe since i had used some products with my pc that essentially smooth out the swirls in the clear coat, that maybe the clear coat becomes more sensative thats all.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:32 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

you needed to wax after you PC'ed btw.

Quick Reply: paint looks like SH*T