Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

single vs. twin: underhood temps and coolig problems?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 06:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default single vs. twin: underhood temps and coolig problems?

Do twin setups usually have more cooling issues and/or underhood temp issues than single setups?

A single setup usually has two longer up pipes (one coming from each bank in a single turbine) and only one down pipe. A twin setup generally has two short up pipes and two down pipes. I'm not sure if these two things offset each other or what?
Old 01-02-2007, 06:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Twins tend to have more cooling problems... Twins take up more room typically... More confined area in the engine bay... Two different areas generating intense heat.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:54 PM
TECH Addict

Wouldnt it depend on the size of the turbo's, and material used for the plumbing?
Old 01-02-2007, 08:17 PM
TECH Addict

To be honest I'm not sure what causes the engine cooling problems in the first place... is it the residual heat from the exhaust in the engine bay, mounting the turbos too close to the radiator, displacing space (and air) under the hood by adding more stuff?
Old 01-02-2007, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's definitely a combination of all those three. It even comes down to the coatings of certain pipes in the turbo setup! That's just from my knowledge though....

2000 Tran Zam: Update your thread
Old 01-02-2007, 08:29 PM
TECH Addict

Yea, that's what I was afraid the answer was going to be. I plan on getting the thick Swaintech ceramic coating regardless of whether I use twins or a single. The truth is I am not sure which way to yet, and I want to order the turbo(s) by the end of January...

Originally Posted by mahhddgtp
It's definitely a combination of all those three. It even comes down to the coatings of certain pipes in the turbo setup! That's just from my knowledge though....
Old 01-02-2007, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How much room do you have in there? Go ahead and answer it so someone who knows what they're talk about can go ahead and answer you sooner...

What do you think your issue would be, other than coating?

By the way, I think Country Boy encourages users to coat only certain parts of the turbo setup... For example, don't coat the pieces that carry air hotter than the ambient engine temperature. But that's for performance reasons.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

The engine compartment is relatively long and narrow and the grill is small.. for pics check out my website:

http://www.buyrcars.com/jag.htm

Other than overheating, I am really just concerned about packaging and setting up a smartly laid out system. I want something I can run hard and reliably.

I will only coat the hot parts (exhaust) and leave the colds side (engine air) all bare aluminum. The exhaust manifolds are cast iron and my uppipe and downpipe will be stainless.

How much room do you have in there? Go ahead and answer it so someone who knows what they're talk about can go ahead and answer you sooner...

What do you think your issue would be, other than coating?

By the way, I think Country Boy encourages users to coat only certain parts of the turbo setup... For example, don't coat the pieces that carry air hotter than the ambient engine temperature. But that's for performance reasons.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What belt-driven accessories are you planning to lose? Just A/C?
Old 01-02-2007, 11:22 PM
TECH Addict

No, I am keeping full F-Body accessories... even the A/C compressor (barely) fits. We can't have a Jag without A/C, can we?! I am running Cadillac CTS-V exhaust manifolds flipped 180 degrees dumping up and forward.

With twins, the up pipe will go aboutt 10-12" straight forward and place the turbos directly in front of the accessories. The exhaust will dump behind the turbos and go under the exhaust manifolds.

If I run a big single, the uppipes will come around the front of the engine and place the turbo directly in front of the engine. The downpipe will route out the passenger side under the exhaust manifold.

What belt-driven accessories are you planning to lose? Just A/C?