General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

LT1 - Changed oil, got strange noise?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 10:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LT1 - Changed oil, got stupid tick

Alright, so It has been 4000 miles since my last oil change and I had some extra money and time so I figured Id do it myself. My car is fairly new to me, and the previous owner told me he used only 10W-40 Mobil1 Synthetic, so I figured Id follow in his footsteps.

I went to autozone and bought 5 quarts of Castrol Syntec 10W-40 Synthetic (they were out of Mobil1) and I got a Mobil1 Oil filter.

Came home, jacked the car up let the oil drane out, put the new filter on filling it with oil first, then refilled the car, and started her up. Started and ran good.

Now the problem: After awhile of driving I got a small tick. When ever I would accelerate the tick would get faster. The tick is consistant at idle both cold and warmed up. I checked the oil level and its fine, no leaks or anything. The guage shows no problems.

I know its probly just a lifter tick, but I dont see why as Im using the same type of oil.

Its a 94 TA with 100k on the motor.

Any help is appreciated..

Last edited by missionsk8r21; 01-02-2007 at 11:35 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could be a backed off rocker i had a nasty tick in my car and i pulled off the valve cover and tightened up a rocker nut and took care of it

could possibly be an exhaust leak as well