Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

taillight polishging

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 12:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default taillight polishging

So I'm about to do the sand/polish bit on my filler panel (get the outline of "firebird" with the chicken to go away), can i do the same wetsand/polish **** on my tail lights to get surface scratches out? I only hear about the filler, nothing with the tails... Thanks.

-J
Old 01-03-2007, 12:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lastcall190
So I'm about to do the sand/polish bit on my filler panel (get the outline of "firebird" with the chicken to go away), can i do the same wetsand/polish **** on my tail lights to get surface scratches out? I only hear about the filler, nothing with the tails... Thanks.

-J
Yes, you can i did the same thing to the taillights. When i polished my taillight center piece i also did the taillights so it all matched, because the shine was a little off.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:42 PM
TECH Resident

I recently polished my taillights when I replaced them with old LT1 lights. They were pretty scuffed up and not very shiny. I wetsanded the DOT lettering off with some 800-1000 grit, then I wetsanded the whole thing with 2000 grit. Then I picked up some Meguiars plastic X polish and a Mothers powerball and buffed everything out. They came out like new and Im very happy with the result.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

Perfect thanks for the responses, time to go to it!

-J
Old 01-03-2007, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

post some pics, and also a mini write up if you dont mind. id love to see the results.

thanks!
Old 01-05-2007, 02:05 AM
TECH Addict

I'll get some pics tomorrow, but I followed the directions in this link:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....66&postcount=1

It went perfect. I initially buffed by hand, wasn't satisfied, went to Wal Mart, got a buffer, went at the taillights like a fiend, and they came out pretty damn good. I used 800, 1500, and 2000 grit paper. Took a little while for the bird outline and writing to come off with 800 (I imagine if you use 600 it would speed it up a bit). But eventually it came out. I kept the surface nice and wet and used a piece of sandpaper about 1.5" x 1.5", very small but also easily workable. Before buffing, and after the 2000 grit, you can feel how damn smooth it's gonna get. I used a ton of the Meguiars PlasitX ****, but it worked pretty good. I did my taillights in the same fashion. I personally like buffing them while on the car, you can press real hard and not worry about having to hold the pieces steady. I'll snap some pics tomorrow after the rain passes.

-J