Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1swap into a 2nd gen t/a

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 12:29 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ls1swap into a 2nd gen t/a

Well the search didn't work for me, I was wondering any of you guys that have done a ls1 swap into a 2nd gen Trans Am could chime in and list what you guys had to do, what are some of the best ways to do the swap, where you got your parts, ect.. Anything constructive advice is greatly wanted, I have a buddy wanting to do this and we're trying to plan it out.

Thanks,
Caleb
Old 01-03-2007, 05:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the process as we speak. Alot of people have done that on this site.
http://www.people.virginia.edu/%7Eme...p/firebird.htm this is a link to a guys web site that has some good information on it. He modified his oil pan while I've seen others modify the subframe but I heard that you don't have to do either. It all depends on how you set it up. Some companies that have conversion parts include www.brphotrods.com which sell a t56 crosmember and motor mounts. www.t56kit.com has a clutch master cylinder braket that will work for 79 trans ams. I just got off the phone with them a few minutes ago. However there crossmember will not work for 79. Getting the motor is up to you. You could try e-bay but they tend to run a little high on there. Try the parts for sale forum on this site or
www.car-part.com. Another option you have is going with an LQ9 or LQ4 which came in various GM pickups and Suvs. It is basically an iron block LS1 but weighs about 75lbs more. Do a search in the conversions and hybrids forum for LQ9 or LQ4. I know theres info on it becasue I started the thread.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/593637-lsx-way-do-i-go.html
This is a pretty good thread that I started a while ago on this site. It has some cool desk top dyno stuff in it that and some good information on LQ9 and LQ4s. Just Check it out.

Quick Reply: ls1swap into a 2nd gen t/a