Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil on spark plug

Old 01-03-2007, 02:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil on spark plug

Well my trans am that I purchased about a month ago all the sudden threw a blinking SES light at me. I drove it straight to a mechanic and the spark plug had oil on it and a new one put in its place also had oil on it on the number 5 cylinder. He also said something about only 26 lbs of compression. I only put about 1500 miles on the car mostly highway in 6th since I purchased it. I don't know much about how the internals work in these cars, but how serious of a problem is this?

EDIT: also I thought that a tranny mount was out because the shifter would shake back and forth, especially in 5th and 6th. Also when i backed up my car sometimes it would make a loud bang and then stall, almost like i didn't give it enough gas, but I am sure that I did.

Details of the car are in my sig.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:28 PM
9 Second Club

Damn, only 26lbs of compression. Time for a rebuild.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:53 PM
Teching In

This just in the number 5 exhaust pushrod is broken and the number 7 intake pushrod is bent. They said that someone overrevved the engine. I know that it wasn't me, I never took it above 5.5k. Sound like i need some new heads?
Old 01-03-2007, 02:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Rabada
This just in the number 5 exhaust pushrod is broken and the number 7 intake pushrod is bent. They said that someone overrevved the engine. I know that it wasn't me, I never took it above 5.5k. Sound like i need some new heads?
Dont need new heads.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:05 PM
Teching In

The reason that I think that I may need new heads is that the bent pushrod may have (and I'm sorry, like I said, this is not something that I am not knowedgable, thus I may be totally wrong) shaved some metal off where it was in the head and the tolerances may be too loose for a new pushrod.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:09 PM
Teching In

Well, I guess that according to the mechanic all he needed to do was replace the pushrods. Should I have someone like Bob at EPP take a look at the engine to see if anything else could be wrong with it due to running broken pushrods for a while? Also is it possible for the pushrods to bent, then break under normal driving conditions much later down the road?
Old 01-08-2007, 11:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Rabada
Well, I guess that according to the mechanic all he needed to do was replace the pushrods. Should I have someone like Bob at EPP take a look at the engine to see if anything else could be wrong with it due to running broken pushrods for a while? Also is it possible for the pushrods to bent, then break under normal driving conditions much later down the road?
You likely need only pushrods, the stock ones are forgiving and will kill themselves and spare the rest of the valvetrain.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:55 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if a compression test comes back A-OK after the pushrods have been replaced, you're good to go.....no worries
Old 01-08-2007, 12:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by cav101
if a compression test comes back A-OK after the pushrods have been replaced, you're good to go.....no worries

Search this Thread