Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Knocking sound near bellhousing

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 01:56 PM
11Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Knocking sound near bellhousing

Hey guys,

I just recently reassembled my engine/tranny, and since getting it all running I'm noticing what sounds like a knocking sound that seems to be coming from the bellhousing. Initially I was afraid it was coming from the engine, but if I listen under the car behind the front wheels it is significantly louder than when I listen under the hood.

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but I've noticed another rattling kind of sound coming from my shifter that goes away when I step on the clutch. I'm assuming this is related to the throw-out bearing. However, the knocking sound coming from under the car does not go away while pressing the clutch. The knocking sound's frequency does follow the RPM of the engine.

What could be causing these noises? I'm assuming the knocking is not the throw-out bearing since it continues when pressing the clutch. Could this be something wrong with the tranny (which has not been disassembled, just removed for an engine rebuild)? Or could this be the pilot bearing? Perhaps something wrong with the clutch itself?
Old 01-04-2007, 06:30 PM
11Second Club

TTT... vids available if needed.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:59 PM
Teching In

hey man i'm in the same boat you are lets get this solved

edit...although i'm running a v6 and they don't have pilot bearings they have pilot bushings. And i greased mine up.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:24 AM
Teching In

TTTTTT anyone please?
Old 01-05-2007, 08:14 AM
11Second Club

I'll try to get a vid of it to post up, 01Cmaro. Hopefully that will pique some interest.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Gauge
Hey guys,

I just recently reassembled my engine/tranny, and since getting it all running I'm noticing what sounds like a knocking sound that seems to be coming from the bellhousing. Initially I was afraid it was coming from the engine, but if I listen under the car behind the front wheels it is significantly louder than when I listen under the hood.

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but I've noticed another rattling kind of sound coming from my shifter that goes away when I step on the clutch. I'm assuming this is related to the throw-out bearing. However, the knocking sound coming from under the car does not go away while pressing the clutch. The knocking sound's frequency does follow the RPM of the engine.

What could be causing these noises? I'm assuming the knocking is not the throw-out bearing since it continues when pressing the clutch. Could this be something wrong with the tranny (which has not been disassembled, just removed for an engine rebuild)? Or could this be the pilot bearing? Perhaps something wrong with the clutch itself?
i didn't have anythinjg rebuild, but i have a similar problem too and i think it's a throw out bearing...
i hear a rattle until i shift into gear and the knocking noise is consistant and louder on cold starts when the AIR pump kicks on. i'm hoping it's the clutch assembly all in itself.

Quick Reply: Knocking sound near bellhousing