Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Different then usual alternator relocation question

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Different then usual alternator relocation question

I've read many threads about relocating the alternator for the truck manifold kit. One thing I've noticed is that most of the relo kits place the alternator up very high and it looks out of place to me. I know "Smokinhawk" makes a bracket for relocation but it also puts the alt way up high. There are a couple guys builds that I've seen that not only have the alt lower but they also don't seem to have a tensioner in place. Are these custom fabbed kits or is there something I'm missing. I'm going to sell my hotparts and go with the truck manifolds but this alternator thing is really getting to me. I know it seems childish but it still bugs me. Here's a few pics of some familiar builds that show what I'm talking about.

Old 01-04-2007, 06:46 PM

I have a modified Smokin Hawk bracket and it sits as low as possible.

Old 01-04-2007, 07:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bird-Of-Prey
I've read many threads about relocating the alternator for the truck manifold kit. One thing I've noticed is that most of the relo kits place the alternator up very high and it looks out of place to me. I know "Smokinhawk" makes a bracket for relocation but it also puts the alt way up high. There are a couple guys builds that I've seen that not only have the alt lower but they also don't seem to have a tensioner in place. Are these custom fabbed kits or is there something I'm missing. I'm going to sell my hotparts and go with the truck manifolds but this alternator thing is really getting to me. I know it seems childish but it still bugs me. Here's a few pics of some familiar builds that show what I'm talking about.
Those are both Stenod builds. They probably make it. I'd contact them.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:54 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,096 Likes on 720 Posts

Guess it depends on how you route everything, I have no room down low for the alternator:

http://psj.ls1tech.com/gallery/main....&g2_itemId=218
Old 01-04-2007, 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies. John, after going through the pics on the link you provided I saw one which is exactly what I'm talking about. It's probably back when you were procharged but it is mounted low and dosen't seem to have a tensioner. Look at the pics above as well as yours and notice one thing, the alt is located below the fuel rail level. Now notice "Country Boy" pic and how the alt is located halfway above the fuel rail and has the stock tensioner. This is what I'm talking about.

Old 01-04-2007, 10:21 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,096 Likes on 720 Posts

The tensioner for the YSi setup was on the right below the braided fuel line.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We hung my under the driver's side turbo - one off build with a "guard" to protect it.

Here's a pictures

David
Attached Thumbnails Different then usual alternator relocation question-img_0004_2.jpg   Different then usual alternator relocation question-img_1730.jpg  
Old 01-04-2007, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

John, had my eye on the alt setup and never noticed the tensioner.

David, I honestly thought of your car as a track only car. Never new you had an alt on there. Nice setup but it would be right where most front mounts are.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Bird-Of-Prey
David, I honestly thought of your car as a track only car. Never new you had an alt on there. Nice setup but it would be right where most front mounts are.

Mostly track, but has seen very limited street cruises. We are hoping to do more street cruising this coming summer -- the SS is licensed and insured .

David
Old 01-04-2007, 10:52 PM
9 Second Club

Have you guys ever tried Street and Performance? I know they make something also , they make many different LS serpentine set ups.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

putting the alternator up top like i do I think is the easiest way to relocate it keeping the stock tensioner and alternator. though people think its high it clears the hood just fine.

stenods relocation is pretty trick too. as they hard mount it to the pasengerhead/waterpump and put the tensioner down below where the alternator used to go. not sure if they use the stock tensioner, the ones ive seen are an aftermarket.

Navy David SS: thats an interesting relocation, i didnt know you could spin the alternator backwards like that. its hard to tell but do you have the manual tensioner hard mounted to the kmember?
Old 01-05-2007, 08:10 AM
10 Second Club

mines low but the belt hits the thermistat housing and its not to tight from the alt. to the crank pully
Attached Thumbnails Different then usual alternator relocation question-altinator.jpg   Different then usual alternator relocation question-altinator2.jpg  
Old 01-05-2007, 08:11 AM
TECH Resident

You can spin the alternator either direction and it charges the same. We mounted ours to the frame rail in the old Formula. We'll be doing the same thing again in the Camaro.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
Navy David SS: thats an interesting relocation, i didnt know you could spin the alternator backwards like that. its hard to tell but do you have the manual tensioner hard mounted to the kmember?
Wanted to keep the engine bay as clean as possible. Manual tensioner. Alternator hasn't given us any problem. Although intially had a heck of time getting it to charge - we had taken all the stock guages out and didn't realize that there is a resister that tells the alternator to charge. Fixed that with an internal resister and no problem since.

David

Quick Reply: Different then usual alternator relocation question