Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question regarding LS1 adapter plates

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 08:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question regarding LS1 adapter plates

I read that the ATS plates which I am using with my Nova lower the motor from the stock position. I am only assuming this is for a Camaro but have to guess it would apply to any car as well. With that being said I need my motor to go up at least a 1/2-1" higher to clear my R&P and got to thinking that there may be some plates that will raise the motor a little? Any one know of any that will help? Thanks,

Jimmy
Old 01-04-2007, 11:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can vary the amount of engine height by using vary plates thickness, Mount mounts and Frame Stands.. but remember that the Trans angle will come into play with the Firewall/trans tunnel.

1) You can use either the short and wide or the tall and narrow engine mounts. 7/16" different between the two. The Energy Suspension comes with a load plate. But when using them with the LS1 adapter plate. you can either use them or not. that is a 1/4" plates. The Adapter plates act as the load plates.

2) Engine Frame Stands to match the T/N or the S/W. You may have to move them if they don't line up with the bolt holes in the frame.. Some just weld them in place. You may have to narrow the S/W frame stands if using the T/N mounts. If using the T/N Frame Stand and S/W mounts. you will have to use spacer (that is not a bad thing, see below). You can alway build taller Frame stands.

3) You can alway make your own Adapter plates with different plate thickness, I built my own with 1/4" steel.

I end up using T/N engine mounts with S/W frames stands (I narrow them 1/2"). With this combination.. I was able to vary the engine height by about 3/4".

By the frame stand and mounts having 1/2" free space, I use this the jack the engine to be centered to where i need it by using spacers.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:06 PM
Staging Lane

Makes a little sense thanks. Tell me though what does T/N and S/W stand for I can't for the life of me figure it out.

I originally welded the frame stands in for a big block and would like to keep from cutting them off and raising them. So what you are saying is a thicker mount will raise it up some? I thought about using some sort of spacers betwwen the ATS plate and the block what do you think? Thanks again,
Old 01-05-2007, 10:13 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

T/N means tall and narrow mounts, and S/W means short and wide mounts.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This should explain it the Tall/Narrow vs the Short/Wide mounts

http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/mt_tr1.html

Your better off mocking up the engine and all in the engine bay 1st.. cause different mounts and plates puts the through bolt at different location in respect to the Frame and engine..

Using spacers, different plated thickness, and/or using the T/N vs S/W mounts can move the bolt out away from the block (or closer). This will cause mis-alingment between the mounts and frame stands ( at this point, you will then end up moving the frame stands).

The ATS plates is design to use the SBC Frame stand and its oem location (and even then, they had man different ones for each body type).
Old 01-06-2007, 07:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am using a TCI front clip and the Car Shop adapters on my first gen Nova and they raised my engine up maybe about a half inch. Not sure about stock mounts but the adapter plates go between the block and mounts so there will be a difference.

Quick Reply: Question regarding LS1 adapter plates