General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

02 sensors slowing down car?

Old 01-06-2007, 05:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 sensors slowing down car?

I'm looking at a 98 z28 m6, it has headers that I've never heard of and a full exhaust which I've never heard of, but a kn drop in filter and an MTI lid. i really think I'm going to buy it, just one thing has my attention, it isn't running as fast as it should, i don't know how to drive stick yet, so i had the current owner take me for a ride, when i asked him to get on it, he was still only shifting at 3000-4000rpm, with that being said, it still wasn't running as fast as other ls1s I've been in with less mods. it didn't pull hard at all. whenever he got on it the check engine light came on, he said he had checked that out and it was throwing 3 02 sensor codes, he also suggested it might be a prob with the fuel delivery system, maybe fuel pressure regulator?

what do you think?

the car is dirt cheap, which is why I'm so interested, it has some other minor issues, and is a little riced out, and I'm sure beat up pretty good, but the price is amazing, I'm having my mechanic look at it Monday and I'll keep you updated, my dad also though he heard a valve knock, which if the mechanic finds to be true, this thread has been pointless

thanks for your help,
Adam
Old 01-06-2007, 06:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you're doing the right thing by having your mechanic look at it...make sure he pulls any current and history codes from the PCM too.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the price still cheap if you factor in an engine and/or transmission?
Old 01-06-2007, 08:01 PM
TECH Resident

i have a 1998 6 speed manual z28 Camaro that is mint... it has 91k miles...no damage interior or exterior...engine runs strong...after market exhaust,air filter, rims & tires, spoiler, tints, radio, just check out my pics and you'll see what i am talkin about i'm asking 6500 but am negotiable

http://d.im.craigslist.org/XG/CU/dB3...G2HGn0so6t.jpg
http://d.im.craigslist.org/yM/cW/3bG...mjTOVhtvD9.jpg
http://b.im.craigslist.org/KY/cx/Vvm...42J1fGMBx7.jpg
http://a.im.craigslist.org/fH/fD/ttq...DwKNl3wPHo.jpg
yes that spoiler does need to go

its in pretty good shape, but not mint, rims are a lil chewed up, ones missing center cap, interior smelt like beer lol, he smoked in it, and everything else i mentioned, but its overall clean, carfax was perfect, he claims he doesn't know much about the car and that he bought it from his neighbor 5 months ago (verified that with carfax), whats sketchy is he knows little about his car, yet hes selling to car to move to cali and sell cars at a dealership, ill be talking to his neighbor about the car if the mechanic says the cars clean

Adam
Old 01-07-2007, 01:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

make sure he checks the bottom end....drop the oil pan...that will tell the whole story
Old 01-07-2007, 04:23 AM
TECH Resident

Low end could be suffering due to the LT's and exhaust. Does the car have cats on it? Have it checked out really well, last thing you want to do is buy some one else's problem.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:14 PM
TECH Resident

i bought it... 5300, mechanic said it needs all 4 02 sensors (was throwing 5 codes), has an exhaust leak, and right side was loose, water pump has a slight leak, and has a headlight out- which i knew, mechanic estimated that to be 1200, so the $6500 asking price, minus that= 5300, not bad for a 98' Z28 with 91K miles with an exhaust and intake
Old 01-08-2007, 06:19 PM
TECH Resident

i bought it... 5300, mechanic said it needs all 4 02 sensors (was throwing 5 codes), has an exhaust leak, and right side was loose, water pump has a slight leak, and has a headlight out- which i knew, mechanic estimated that to be 1200, so the $6500 asking price, minus that= 5300, not bad for a 98' Z28 with 91K miles with an exhaust and intake

Search this Thread