Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Those who have torn down their own tranny...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 04:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Those who have torn down their own tranny...

I'm rebuilding my tranny as I type this out and I've gotten stuck. I'm trying to slide off the main case from the lower part, but can't seem to get it off all the way. I've taken off the alignment bolts, all 11 bolts on the outer part and the other stuff that holds it to the bottom piece. When I lift the case up, the mainshaft shiftrail seems to be attached to the case because it comes up with the case. This doesn't allow me to lift the case more than 1" because the shift forks hit the 1/2 and 3/4 gears. Anyone have an idea of where I can go from here? HELP!
Old 01-07-2007, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you take out the 2 gold shift rail bolts? They are torx head bolts.

Tremec does have a free service manual you can download

http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/products/T-56.asp
Old 01-07-2007, 08:35 PM
TECH Addict

Yes, I took out the two torx bolts (they were referred to as alignment bolts in the instructions I'm following). I found the problem, it ended up being a roll pin I didn't punch out (holds part of the shift pattern piece to the shiftrail). Thanks for the help.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Let me know how it goes.. im starting on mine tomorrow.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Phlip00WS6
Let me know how it goes.. im starting on mine tomorrow.
Will do. So far, I've put in everything I was going to replace (rebuild synchronizers and steel 3/4 shift fork) and I just need to put everything back together. The only real trouble spots were getting the main casing off because I forgot to hammer out that roll pin in the shift rail and getting the 3/4 synchronizer hub off. I had my dad helping me out and between both of us finally got that damn thing off. I suppose what makes it harder than it should be is that the shaft is not connected to anything at this point so you have to find a way to create a moment opposite to what you're applying to the puller. This makes it pretty difficult to get that hub off.

All is done now though, I just need to get everything back together. I'm going to use a long hollow pipe to "press" the 3/4, 1/2 & 5/6 back on. Good luck on your rebuild.

Quick Reply: Those who have torn down their own tranny...