Negative Trader Feedback Disputes| Fraud Reports | Scam Warnings

AFRLS1 bad seller (James Boyd, FL) :SELLER ON OFFICIAL BAD TRADER LIST!

Old 01-09-2007, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation AFRLS1 bad seller (James Boyd, FL) :SELLER ON OFFICIAL BAD TRADER LIST!

ok to start with I bought this heads from james boyd (afrls1).On 11/09/06 I send him a total of $1,775.the heads came with springs and ported,thats wy I jump on them.So I receive the heads and open up the package inspect them.I saw some some black spots on 2 intake runners, but I tought it was just burn oil.So after a few days I took the heads to a machine shop and found all this.

1.epoxy on 2 intake runners
2.precission valve job, valves not making full contact
3.mill job
4.all intake valves worn out
5.all intake guides have execive play
all this repairs will cost me well over $700

so I call james and told him about all that and he says that Alan futral/Meaux racing heads uses epoxy.Thats part of his design to shape the runners just the way he wanted.So if that was the case how come he didnt use epoxy on the rest of the runners.Only on 2 of them, and on one of them you can see the epoxy all the way trough the push rod hole.

so after all of this james refounded me $200 to do some repairs.and at the same time, I was thinking on going on a different rute. so I put the heads for sale.I had about 5 people interested in the heads.so I garb a small screwdriver and pick on the epoxy.The epoxy must of being about 2 thousand thick,because I open up a hole right away.so I send a message to everyone and told them the heads are no longer for sale.And refounded james $200 back to him.Because I'm just going to let my credit card company deal with this.

Pat Boyd
James Boyd

5500 66th street north
saint petersburg FL 33709
JBLT4@HOTMAIL.COM

just beware of people like this thats all I have to say
Old 01-09-2007, 02:17 PM
Banned

Ok my side... I was selling a complete longblock fresh from a machine shop, with AFR Futral/Meaux ported heads on it that were purchased a few months eariler from another LS1 TECH member.. You made me a offer to remove the heads from the motor and by doing so I wasted a set of $160 Cometic head gaskets. My loss.. I sold them to you dirt cheap to begin with just to help pay for some other things that were being done to my car at the time. One month later you send me an email stating that you had just took them to a machine shop and there were problems and your main concern being that there was epoxy in a few of the ports, I explained to you then that I had previously called and spoke with the head porter himself (Larry Meaux Racing) about the epoxy in the heads when I bought them and he explained to me that there was some core shift in those heads and the epoxy was used to compensate for that, I even gave you his number to call and verify that. Which you did not. Finally you started in on the valves having excessive play etc and the surface not being even.. The heads were checked out and ok'ed when installed on my motor by the machine shop. You bought USED stg 3 ported heads, i'm sure there would be some wear on moving parts, I am no machinst, all I know is they worked great on my car when removed.... Now due to the fact of you being so upset about this, and me trying to help you out, and going on your word that there were a few problems, we worked out a deal and agreed that I would refund you $200 for you to have some repairs done. I did refund you the $200 12/29/06, then you turn around a week later and tell me the deal is off and you want a complete refund? That is absurd.....Check my trader feedback I am not into selling anyone junk. I bent over backwards to make you happy.You have now since purchased another set of ET heads, and are unhappy with anything but a full refund...I held up on my end and refunded you the money you asked for when I did not have to refund anything! The deal is over with....Anyone selling to this guy Felix Martinez, beware!!

Last edited by AFRLS1; 01-09-2007 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

ok when did you told me about the epoxy?

nope I found it and thats were the problems begin.

I waited this long because, I was trying to work something with james.you guys dont see me here talking bad stuff about anyone. I talked to nineball about this a wile back. and he said get your money back, those heads are worth nothing.

THIS PROBLEM WOULD HAVE NEVER STARTERD,IF JAMES WOULD HAVE TOLD ME FROM THE BIGENING BEFORE I SENT HIM THE MONEY.THAT THIS HEADS HAD EPOXY,I'M PRETTY SURE HE WOULD NOT HAVE A DEAL.

if your a good seller wy didnt you ever tell about that.

MODERATOR EDIT: we do not concern ourselves with your rating on other sites. We rely on what is posted here.

Last edited by GEARHED; 01-18-2007 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

now I cant even sale the heads. I'm not capable of salling this heads to anyone unless they are in good condition or sale them for dirt
Old 01-09-2007, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=AFRLS1]Ok my side... I was selling a complete longblock fresh from a machine shop, with AFR Futral/Meaux ported heads on it that were purchased a few months eariler from another LS1 TECH member

HOW MANY MILES ON THE LONG BLOCK?

.. You made me a offer to remove the heads from the motor and by doing so I wasted a set of $160 Cometic head gaskets

YOU SHOULD CONTACT COMETIC BECAUSE THEY SAID THERE GASKETS ARE REUSABLE

I explained to you then that I had previously called and spoke with the head porter himself (Larry Meaux Racing) about the epoxy in the heads when I bought them and he explained to me that there was some core shift in those heads and the epoxy was used to compensate for that

HOW COME YOU NEVER MENTION ANY OF THIS PRIOR TO CLOSE THE DEAL?

we worked out a deal and agreed that I would refund you $200 for you to have some repairs done. I did refund you the $200 12/29/06, then you turn around a week later and tell me the deal is off

OK JAME LETS GET THIS STRAIGHT YOU SEND $100 12/29/06
YOU SEND ANOTHER $100 on 1/7/07. AND I REFUNDED $200 1/8/07
THE DEAL WAS OFF BECAUSE YOU SAID THEY WERE IN GOOD CONDITION.WHEN I WAS MAKING A DEAL WITH A MEMBER.I DECIDED TO GRAB A SCREWDRIVER AND PICK ON THE EPOXY.AND I OPENED A HOLE RIGHT AWAY.SO I TOLD THE MEMBER THE HEADS ARE NO LONGER FOR SALE

and you want a complete refund?That is absurd.....

ABSURD IS WHAT YOU SOLD ME

Last edited by Shaarky; 01-09-2007 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

I guess afrls1 is to busy to answer my questions
Old 01-15-2007, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

james when are you going to answer my questions?
Old 01-17-2007, 04:37 PM
TECH Veteran

The only question here is what each of you considered "good condition".

If you want new, try one of the sponsors. If you are buying used then make sure you are able to contact the seller prior to purchase. If they don't know or sound like they don't know then don't buy hoping they were used maybe 50 miles (even on passes).

You both had an agreement and backed out - buyer should take the $200 and keep the heads. It is fair considering more research should have been done prior to purchase.
FWIW: If it were me and I read "I am no machinst, all I know is they worked great on my car when removed...." and would have called the machine shop where he had them inspected.

BUYER: Please reconsider accepting the $200
SELLER: Restate your initial proposal with exact date money will be sent if willing.

Thank you
Old 01-17-2007, 11:32 PM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=GEARHED]The only question here is what each of you considered "good condition".

If you want new, try one of the sponsors. If you are buying used then make sure you are able to contact the seller prior to purchase.

I never said that he sold me new heads. But I trusted him,when he said they worked fine.

I still think the seller should of informed me about the epoxy, no matter what
Old 01-18-2007, 01:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Shaarky
Originally Posted by GEARHED
The only question here is what each of you considered "good condition".

If you want new, try one of the sponsors. If you are buying used then make sure you are able to contact the seller prior to purchase.
I never said that he sold me new heads. But I trusted him,when he said they worked fine.

I still think the seller should of informed me about the epoxy, no matter what
Many Sponsors sell heads that have been coated with epoxy and have little if any problems. It really was up to you to ask more questions considering the seller did state he wasn't quite sure but thought they were in "good condition".

This would be kind of like me filling up my NO2 tank at one place for $1.99 a gallon and find out there is a $15 re-fill fee including shorting the tank by #7lbs, then find the guy up the road would have filled it for $2.20 a gallon straight up and weighed it (which did happen last summer). I have no room to go back and holler at the first seller because I didn't do my research that some places do tack on that extra fee and put the tank on scales until its time to pay the bill.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:25 AM
On The Tree

GEARHED the epoxy is not really the issue here. the issue is that two intake runners have epoxy. but one of them whent all the way trough the lifter side.

so your saying that if I sale something, and the buyer dont ask about the condition. then thats his fault ?
Old 01-18-2007, 01:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Epoxy is commonly used on head porting. There is core shift and sometimes (depending on the head) the runner will break into a rocker stud hole or a perimeter valve cover hole. I have had it happen to me on my Lloyd Elliott ported AFR210's. Here is a recent example:

http://64.65.63.61/forums/showthread.php?t=496553

I am not weighing in on who is wrong or right, but I wanted to show that professional head ported make these holes and use epoxy or thread sealant depending on hole location.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Shaarky
GEARHED the epoxy is not really the issue here. the issue is that two intake runners have epoxy. but one of them whent all the way trough the lifter side.
Good example by RealQuick's post that yes, it does happen and how it happens.

so your saying that if I sale something, and the buyer dont ask about the condition. then thats his fault ?
Yes. The buyer should request pictures, a certified mechanics report, ask if they have been expoxy coated, if they don't know then look to a sponsor instead.

In a perfect world sellers would know everything and educate the buyer. Buyers would not be lazy or jump so fast they don't get all the information they need.
But we don't live in those Wallmart commercials so real life says "caveat emptor".
Old 01-18-2007, 11:16 PM
On The Tree

ok you guys change my mind. I give james one week to give me a date.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

james send me a private message, saying that since he had allready told me that if I post this in the feedback forum. that he wont give me the $200 refund.

so i'm just going to send the info my credit card company requested. and let them deal with this.

you guys said thats my fault, because I didnt ask for pics. But I still think a good seller wont hide anything wrong.

A good example, he still hasnt answer any of my questions.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

LOOK what I found hahaha.

onesweetZ06-

James Boyd
Tampa, Florida

Sold me a set of comp 918's with steel retainers, springs arrived with no retainers and appear to be stock ls1 or ls6 springs, no blue stripe and 75lbs at the 1.8 inch seat. Told me he got them from another member so it isn't his fault. It did take me a while to check them as I was deployed to Afghanistan when I bought them

I wonder if he ever got his money or the correct springs
Old 01-24-2007, 03:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Imagine that, he had to change his user name to sell crap when I was told he has enough money he doesn't need to rip anyone off.

Exactley why I quit posting and buying from LS1tech. Don't get me wrong, there are lots of good members here that I stay in contact with. But when the admins allow someone with a bad trader rating to get a new user name and rip someone again is absurd.

BTW JAmes I still have those worn out stock LS1 springs you sold me as "low mileage 918's"
Old 01-24-2007, 09:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

WOW, I am so glad i never had any experience buying or selling items on this site like that. That is also why on a purchase like that i am sure to pick the part up in person rather than take someones word.

Epoxy in runners is normal and OK, I would surely have a problem with the valves not seating, thet is BS if he sold them like that to you and didnt tell you.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:44 AM
On The Tree

Epoxy in runners is normal and OK, I would surely have a problem with the valves not seating, thet is BS if he sold them like that to you and didnt tell you.[/QUOTE]

bro he did not only forgot to tell me about the epoxy

1.epoxy on 2 intake runners
2.precission valve job, valves not making full contact
3.mill job
4.all intake valves worn out
5.all intake guides have execive play
all this repairs will cost me well over $700

In a conversation over the phone he told me the heads only had 500 miles. and that his machinist inspect the heads and there were nothing wrong with them.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

No doubt, i said in my last post that it is BS that he sent them and the valves are all jacked up. If he said they were fine yet the valves were jacked up and he drove them like this and though they were fine, he is either full of **** or just plain clueless.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AFRLS1 bad seller (James Boyd, FL) :SELLER ON OFFICIAL BAD TRADER LIST!