Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Pontiac TA EGR, Header question

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 05:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Pontiac TA EGR, Header question

I have a 99 TA that we put Hooker Headers and Y pipe on about 1 mth ago. The cars EGR has been removed by the shop that did the work. The car will stumble and miss now. It will mostly do this when taking off and will also when you are accelerating once you have reached high speed. It acts just like it wants to choke itself out. We have cleaned the fuel rails, there is good fuel pressure, the injectors are not clogged, fuel filters have been changed. Also the shop was supposed to install o2 simulators but did not do so and they are also missing. Could the EGR missing cause the car to stumble like this? Has anyone else had this problem? Do you have the EGR unhooked? If so did you have this problem and what did you do to fix it?
Old 01-09-2007, 10:55 PM
Teching In

Any help any body can give me would be appreciated. I am a new TA owner.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:04 PM
Banned

If you unhook the EGR, without installing a block off plate and removing the programming from the ECU, its going to cause problems. If the EGR valve is stuck open, it will cause the engine to run rough, stall, hesitate, and just all around run like crap. Its like having a huge vacuum leak on the intake manifold.

A block off plate needs to be installed in its place, the hoses should be removed, and the ECU should be reprogrammed to tune out the ERG system.

Make sure all of that has been done first, and then diagnose the issue from there.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

More details on how they plugged the hole in the intake would help. Also, is the SES light on? If yes, what are the codes? By itself, just removing the egr will not cause those problems if everything was plugged properly.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:36 AM
Teching In

The EGR is plugged so as there is no vaccum leak. I am sorry to say the speed shop rip us off when installing the headers. They were supposed to install o2 simulators and did not and then disconnected the wire that lets the service engine lite come on. We have a power programmer that is showing codes PO140, PO160,P1153 which we know are related to the back o2 sensors. It is also giving the code P0405 which is where it is detecting that the EGR is no longer there. We also get the code P0300 for random multiple cylinder misfire. The plugs and wires were replaced when the shop put the headers on and were replaced again after the headers were put on and we got that code in case something was wrong with the wires and plugs put on the first time. We never had this issue with the car prior to putting on the headers and are at a lost as to what it could be if not a fuel issue.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Since the shop cobbled everthing else up, I'll guess they didn't use real O2 extensions and cut and spliced wires into your O2 sensors. That's something to check. BTW the 1153 code is a pass side front O2 code. If they did, look into putting the Vette rear O2 sensors (Bosh 13111) on to replace the cut and spliced ones. Any exhaust leaks? What gaskets did they use between the headers and heads? Other than that, I'd have to hook up a scanner to see what might be wrong. Good luck.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:01 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the main thing id be concerned with is the p0300 code for missfires...I would suspect that is the main culprit.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:02 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah, I just did the same swap on a 98, but I did it myself. I replaced the plugs at the same time, deleted rear O2's, EGR, AIR and Cats. I used the splice kit that came w/ the headers. I have not tuned this setup nor even use 02 Simulators. My car runs as smooth as it has all the way up to 95mph(which is all I've taken it up to) The only thing Ive noticed after the swap is, obviously the SES light constantly on and a ticking coming from the engine area.

As far as yours, I'd def look into the splices to the front O2's assuming they were put on instead of extensions or the 13111's. Good luck.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:44 AM
Teching In

The shop that did the header work didnt use the right o2 extensions and when we removed them they were full of water. We had noticed that the problems we were having always occured when it rained or there was mositure around, which this time of here is pretty much always, we replaced the extensions with the bosch and so far so good. The car has not stumbled since and we had a good rain and seems the problem is fixed. Knock on wood . Thanks for the help
Old 01-17-2007, 04:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Sounds to me like you need to invest in a nice set of metric wrenches or find a new respectible shop.

I would go over the entire install, headers, plugs, plug wires, O2's, ect..
Do a seafoam treatment to check for exhuast leaks - especially around the flanges and spark plugs
pull the plugs and ensure they are gapped properly
Inspect all O2 sensor wiring for damage
Inspect all other components in the area for damage

I would suspect your random misfire code (p0300) is the result of the B1Sx code(s) causing an over fueling situation.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:34 AM
Teching In

This guy was a total ***** when we confronted him with everything. Believe me we are done. We have completely checked everything over. We did have to replace the exhust clamps as what he used were very cheap ones that did allow for exhust leaks. So far everything seems to still be running good since replacing the o2 extensions. There are a few more bugs we need to work out in the car like the fact that we are having issue with keeping the turning signals working.

Thanks for the help