Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

drilling 190 stat

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 10:55 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drilling 190 stat

anyone try drilling 2 or 3 holes on the stock 190 stat. to bring down the temps. would it even work, and if it does what size holes and how many to get 170-180temps.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In one of the LS1 Performance books.. it has a write up of how to Mod the T-Stat to adjust the temp of the stat opening.. It uses a brass hard line compression fitting (the inner ring that goes on the tube and gets crushed by the fittings). I can post the instruction once I get home and find it.
But if you have the book, which most of us should have browsed through it at one time or another for (guess not everyone, that is why we all see so many question here in the forum) good information and stuff..
Old 01-10-2007, 01:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PM me your e-mail and I'll send you the instructions to mod your stock thermostat.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From Christopher Endres's Chevy LS1/LS6 Performance book... page 58...:

Remove the Thermostat Hosing and take it apart by compressing the spring and retainer while twisting it out of the housing.

Once it is apart you can see the recessed area inside the housing where the piston seats. By placing a small spacer there, it will adjust the thermostat to the temperature you are trying to adjust to.

It states to use a 1/8" Brass Ferrule (like in the compression fittings) as the spacer and to file down to the correct thickness. It states that a spacer of about .090" thickness will set the T-Stat to about 168 deg (that is the minimum temperature to allow it to work correctly.

That is a quick summary. There is a bit more info on it.. but you should find a copy and read it yourself along with other tips and information that is in the book.

So there two of you cheap option for the t-stat.. Drill or space..

hope that helps.. I will be trying this myself as soon as I get around to flushing the system soon.

Quick Reply: drilling 190 stat