Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Evap System

Old 01-10-2007, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Evap System

I know this is a LT-1 question, but i need some help here.

Can I delete the Evap Purge Solenoid, and the evap system?

Also, what exactly is the purpose of the Evap System?

Thanks for any info guys.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

am i in the wrong forum?

this does fall under the right category doesn't it?

just need a little insight guys
Old 01-10-2007, 09:43 PM
9 Second Club

Received 266 Likes on 101 Posts

Default Evap

I'll try....

If you are in an emissions compliant area probably not, although that has never stopped anyone before if you just delete the codes.

The purpose of EVAP (Evaporative Emissions) is purely EPA. It is a simple system that captures hydrocarbons from the fuel in the tank and during refueling and temporarily stores them into a canister and then purges them through the intake plenum via a purge solenoid (mounted on your manifold) at a given time, sometimes idle, sometimes driving at light to moderate loads.

If the car is a 1996 and up it most likely will have an Enhanced System where part of the OBD II monitoring strategy is to check the systems ability to hold a trapped vacuum at least on a GM. If there are any leaks in the system, broken lines, disconnected components, gas cap missing, etc the monitor will fail and the system will store a DTC. There are about 16 generic codes that can be set on a given GM system. They pertain to both function and leak. They will numerically be a P04XX (something). There is usually a second solenoid somewhere near the canister that is called the vent solenoid and its function is to seal the system off from atmosphere when it goes into leak check mode, otherswise it is normally open. the purge solenoid is normally closed unless the system is purging, where then this solenoid would be duty cycled at a given percentage. This can vary between 20% to 100%. The vent solenoid is usually either ON or OFF.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:55 PM
10 Second Club

what all do i need to ditch/make this work on my car? i want to get rid of it but i don't know what to do with the line coming from the tank (by the fuel feed hard line).
Old 01-11-2007, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for that info man. That was very helpful. BTW my car is a 95 (OBD 1)

So you are saying that if I delete all evap stuff I can just delete the codes and be ok. One question, will these codes come back repetively if the system is deleted?

Oh yeah, not worried about emissions here
Old 01-11-2007, 10:05 PM
9 Second Club

Default Evap

Yes, codes will come back unless you have ECM programmed, or yours may need a prom. My 1993 had a replaceable prom.....
Old 01-11-2007, 10:08 PM
9 Second Club

Default Evap

Originally Posted by SSwanner
what all do i need to ditch/make this work on my car? i want to get rid of it but i don't know what to do with the line coming from the tank (by the fuel feed hard line).
You can remove all the plumbing, but you will want to keep the vent solenoid by the canister and that plumbing so that the gas tank remains vented to not cause difficulty when filling at the pump. Without a vent to atmosphere the pump may want to click off repetitively before your full.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:39 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by helicoil
You can remove all the plumbing, but you will want to keep the vent solenoid by the canister and that plumbing so that the gas tank remains vented to not cause difficulty when filling at the pump. Without a vent to atmosphere the pump may want to click off repetitively before your full.

i understand what your saying but can you further elabirate on it a little? where is the canister?
Old 01-11-2007, 11:03 PM
10 Second Club

Its on the drivers side by the fuel rail. Plastic thing. I ripped mine off and the line that went in it I put a breather on and ran it to the front of the car. Got all the evap codes deleted and havent had a problem yet. Been running it for awhile now. No weird pressure build up in tank or clicking problems.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:26 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jordan S.
Its on the drivers side by the fuel rail. Plastic thing. I ripped mine off and the line that went in it I put a breather on and ran it to the front of the car. Got all the evap codes deleted and havent had a problem yet. Been running it for awhile now. No weird pressure build up in tank or clicking problems.

i thought that was the purge valve/silenoid? it has wires going to it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Evap System