General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

I swear... sometimes you find them in the weirdest places!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 09:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I swear... sometimes you find them in the weirdest places!

So I went to help a buddy of mine put his car to storage at the local airport (he has a garage there). Next to his building there is this guy working on his PLANE engine, all I could see was about 2 feet of nose w/ the propeller...

Having huge interest in engines in general I went to check what a plane engine might look like. Then my heart stopped! Guys... that dude was swapping his old "LS1" engine for a new LS7 CRATE! so Im like Wtffff! Ive seen tons of interesting swaps with LS type engines... but a in plane!?

I talked with him a bit about the LS1, then he tells me that it came from an 00 Vette, and that he had about 30hours of flight with it. Worked perfect but wanted to extra HP from the LS7. Anyways, long story short, I bought it and will use it for my Camaro.

The vette pan was tricked to fit in the small and cluttered plane engine bay. Throttle was modified too. All the rest is oem I believe. Altho it might not be cause he said that, for a "non-conventionnal" engine to be installed into a plane, it needs to pass numerous safety tests, and then said that it had been dynoed @ 400hp.

Hmm now that I think of... Vette of those here were 345rwhp stock. so I guess that 400hp @ the propeller is about right. Look at the silly colors the engine was painted too (He had to paint it that color). I started the tear down today, and stripping all the paint from it to get it back to its all aluminum glory. LS6 valley cover and intake will be added before going in the car, same for the cam and valvetrain. Not sure what Im going with tho atm.

Look at the weird front timing cover? sup with that? Notice the pan too, I was talking earlier, and the custom throttle body. I can send more pics if needed. Anyone know whats going on there?
Attached Thumbnails I swear... sometimes you find them in the weirdest places!-resized_resized_img_0607.jpg   I swear... sometimes you find them in the weirdest places!-resized_resized_img_0611.jpg   I swear... sometimes you find them in the weirdest places!-resized_resized_img_0618.jpg   I swear... sometimes you find them in the weirdest places!-resized_resized_img_0635.jpg   I swear... sometimes you find them in the weirdest places!-resized_resized_img_0638.jpg  

Old 01-10-2007, 09:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 442 Likes on 353 Posts

That is absurd! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought airplane engines had to have 2 plugs per cylinder in case one fouled out, with a redundant ignition system.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

it probably wouldnt hurt to go through it and freshin it up. How much did you give for it if you dont mind me asking?
Old 01-11-2007, 01:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Colors ain't bad except the yellow...
Old 01-11-2007, 02:09 AM
NKAWTG...N

Originally Posted by LS1Formulation
That is absurd! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought airplane engines had to have 2 plugs per cylinder in case one fouled out, with a redundant ignition system.
I am not sure if that is a requirement, but every horizontally opposed piston engine (carb and fuel injected) aircraft ive been in have had two magnetos (the redundent ignition your speaking off).
Old 01-11-2007, 07:23 AM
Launching!

Maplered: Paid 2k for it w/computer and the crappy plane harness... They are VERY rare up here in quebec. When there is one up for sale, people are usually asking 3.5-4k for engine only.

Powershift: The paint had started to crack and chip, and an all aluminum engine looks better in its original glory imo.

Stolelt, LS1Formulation: Here is a link showing you something similar to the guy I bought it from. Im in no way an expert @ plane stuff. But it had an LS1 sitting in front. lol (now LS7)

---> http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?...=post&id=20143
Old 01-11-2007, 07:37 AM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thats crazy but at the same time cool. I wonder what was done to keep it from stalling at higher altitudes????
Old 01-11-2007, 07:56 AM
Launching!

Notice the big *** turbo. heh
Old 01-11-2007, 08:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 442 Likes on 353 Posts

I'm guessing the huge turbo would be to supply the engine with dense air at higher altitudes, which in turn would keep it from stalling out. The air up there is a lot colder as well, hence the lack of an intercooler. Not to mention it's going to have about 175 MPH of ram air forced into the inlet bell of the turbo, depending on the induction setup.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1Formulation
I'm guessing the huge turbo would be to supply the engine with dense air at higher altitudes, which in turn would keep it from stalling out. The air up there is a lot colder as well, hence the lack of an intercooler. Not to mention it's going to have about 175 MPH of ram air forced into the inlet bell of the turbo, depending on the induction setup.
Bingo on the turbo, they are installed on airplanes mainly to bring inlet pressures back to ground level, in order to maintain the power output at high altitude. A 2nd benefit is higher power for takeoff and low altitude maneuvering.
The cam in the motor is probably like a boat motors cam, in that its designed to produce a flat power/torque curve over the engines rpm range.

What is interesting (havent looked at pics yet) is how they made one of these engines survive inverted and vertical flight, where the oil would not be naturally falling back to the sump for pickup by the oil pump. These motors where designed to be run oil pan facing the ground at all times.
The modded pan and timing cover mentioned probably has something to do with the airplane owners remedy to such a design problem.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

looked at the pics, looks like the oil pan was just modded for clearance... But they had to of done something with the oil system to keep it lubricated when climbing or flying inverted???
Old 01-11-2007, 10:39 AM
12 Second Club

thats fuggin awesome!!!
Old 01-11-2007, 12:27 PM
Launching!

Fire67: Im planning to remove the oil pan this weekend. The truth lies probably there. Maybe a dry sump system was installed in the plane? I have to go near the airport tomorrow, if I didnt find anything, Ill stop by and ask the guy that sold it to me.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

The plane had to be an experimental type. Here in the states the experimental has to be placed so any passenger can clearly see what they are getting into. A turbo is not required at altitudes below 10K. We can drive our cars throught the mountians. Above that the pilot / passengers will become unconcious from lack of oxygen. For an aircraft to fly inverted it has to be rated for acrobatic flight, and for that matter steep dives and climbing manuevers also, which I'm sure this one was not.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is a websight which sells ls-1's for airplanes somewhere. This was gone over a couple years ago. Evidently there are a lot of small planes with ls-1's in them due to them being light, powerful, and reliable.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:54 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Spike-Z

I guess that 400hp @ the propeller is about right.
Never thought id hear those words
Old 01-13-2007, 08:12 AM
10 Second Moderator

Originally Posted by Fire67
looked at the pics, looks like the oil pan was just modded for clearance... But they had to of done something with the oil system to keep it lubricated when climbing or flying inverted???
I'm going to guess thats why he picked the LS7 to switch to, more power and a dry sump oiling system.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

Here are some more plane pics. Shows the dry sump system also.

http://members.iquest.net/~aca/photos.htm
Old 01-18-2007, 09:46 PM
Teching In

slightly off topic but you are able to go above 10k feet without going unconscious. depending on how high you go and how long you are there it can take hours before you get any symptons from lack of oxygen. Of course if you have supplemental oxygen that is not an issue. just a fun fact of the day
Old 01-19-2007, 01:57 AM
TECH Resident

Thats it, when I get my own house with a shop, I am getting my pilots license for the sole reason of building this plane and flying it. http://members.iquest.net/~aca/photos.htm
They better still be sell the kit when I have the means.