Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

How bad has CA gotten?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 10:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How bad has CA gotten?

I have served my time and now I am heading back to CA after being gone for nearly three years. How bad is it to have LTs out there? When I left there were enough shops that turned a blind eye as long as you passed sniffer. I plan on keeping all the emissions and even a true catted Y with all four 02 sensors. It just seems that so many people are into the shorty headers even though they are not as effective. They would not allow the LS2 402 that I want built to reach it's full potential. Anyone want to clarify? I haven't been smogged there since buying the car new in '02. When registration comes up in Nov I know they will have my number. Thanks all!
Old 01-10-2007, 11:03 PM
TECH Resident

Where are you registred now?
Old 01-11-2007, 03:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I thought they did not smog a new car for 6 years, so this should be your first smog. Not 100% sure about above but i havent got a smog yet but you might if it is registered in another state. Good luck
Old 01-11-2007, 03:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is still possible to find a smog. I'm installing Lt's this weekend but i just got smogged in the summer.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:01 AM
TECH Resident

I don't know what I was thinking. I bought the car new in 2000, I am the only owner. I have been a registered CA driver for 14 yrs, I remember most of the laws/rules, I just didn't know if the shops were getting a harder time from the gov't. I actually was required, I believe it was 2004, to show proof which was waived since I was out of state. I know for a fact they wanted the waiver again on 2005. How many years is it now that your car is clear once it passes smog?
Old 01-11-2007, 01:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Every other year or every 2 years. I thought that since you were in the military you are exempt from reregistering as well as you drivers lincense renewals as long as you are in?
Old 01-11-2007, 03:41 PM
TECH Resident

No we register just the same we are exempted from emissions while we are stationed outside our home state. I could have gotten the extension on my DL but I instead saved money on car insurance by getting a NC license.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:17 PM
10 Second Club

If not a Cali. resident, register it someplace else.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:18 PM
TECH Resident

I have been a CA resident for 21 yrs and have no intentions of ever changing. I love L.A.!
Old 01-11-2007, 05:02 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by mySStery_machine
I have been a CA resident for 21 yrs and have no intentions of ever changing. I love L.A.!
Bye-Bye Long tubes or Bye-Bye money to keep them.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:07 PM
TECH Resident

I was hoping that a blind eye will be all I need since it will still pass sniffer I am sure.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New law you might not know..

I dont know the exact Law Code.. i will try and look it up.. but here is the short version, and this law was enacted because of illegal street racing(thanks Fast & Furious)

A patrol officer now has the right to pull over any vehicle that has any signs or indication it is also used for "Illegal street racing".. they specifically look for stickers, big mufflers, loud mufflers, lowered cars, "big tachs" and gauges, Wings, body kits.. ect."

Should you be pulled over and the police officer suspects or asks you to open your hood, (which they never could do before), and you deny them access.. they now have the right to impound your car under the suspision of illegal modifications to a pollution controlled vehicle. It will then be towed to a yard (at your cost) where it is inspected by a Smog ref for any violations of pollution equipment and other "Racing" equipment as defined by the state of CA. You are charged for the tow, the time it spends in the yard, the inspection and possibly ticketed by the officer for any violations.

If your car is deemed "unfit and unsafe for public use" you car is impounded permenantly and you loose your car..+ pay fines

There was a police training video of this on YouTube for quite a while, showing what the police are supposed to look for.. someone said it was removed but I have heard its back up.. you should try and find it.. its hillarious.. stupid cops
Old 01-11-2007, 05:42 PM
TECH Resident

The GMMG has the C.A.R.B. and is considered legal, so I will be OK there. Minus me having headers that are not allowed, there should be no reason to pull me over. I will have functioning cats and it WILL pass the sniffer legitimately. Camaros being loud is like ricers being annoying and immature. I hope that my age, subdued paint and good street driving manners would keep me out of harms way. Shorty headers do absolutely NOTHING, so that would be a waste of money to even get away from manifolds.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

Im also in SoCal, LA to be presise, i have 4 more months for my smog check to come in so im just waiting it out. after i do my smog im going crazy with mods ( long tubes, heads, cam fast90/90 and so on) but your right about camaros being naturally loud. Cops are cool with domestic cars like camaros, mustangs ext... *** long *** you drive safely i dont think theyll pull you over for having a loud car, im going to get a catted y pipe just to be on the safeside and leave the drag racing for the track, its not worth it to drag race in CA anymore. rice rockets on the other hand sound anoying with there fart mufflers thats why they get pulld over all the time.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fastss
Im also in SoCal, LA to be presise, i have 4 more months for my smog check to come in so im just waiting it out. after i do my smog im going crazy with mods ( long tubes, heads, cam fast90/90 and so on) but your right about camaros being naturally loud. Cops are cool with domestic cars like camaros, mustangs ext... *** long *** you drive safely i dont think theyll pull you over for having a loud car, im going to get a catted y pipe just to be on the safeside and leave the drag racing for the track, its not worth it to drag race in CA anymore. rice rockets on the other hand sound anoying with there fart mufflers thats why they get pulld over all the time.
Agreed, my car is allot louder than stock and i havent had any problems. They will be cool to you because you are in the military as long as you dont drive crazy or draw too much attention to yourself. I think what the guy ment by registering it in another state is you live here but have it registered somewhere else to avoid ca's strict smog. Good luck to you
Old 01-11-2007, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

Cops aren't that bad yet. I stay out in the Hemet area were motorcycle cops drive HarleyDavidsons which aren't that loud but there louder than a normal street bike. Its as much a American Tradition as Muscle cars are so I guess it all depends where you live. Travie319 drives around with open hedders 24/7, My car use to shoot flames out the exuast and never got hassled for it.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:25 PM
TECH Resident

I want NOTHING to do with NC. It was bad enough my son was born here... Absolutely NO love for this place. I am more than happy to play by the rules (for the most part) in CA.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:28 PM
TECH Resident

Hemet, Temecula, Victorville, Murietta and areas of the like are where we are looking at to buy.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll trade you my house in Riverside for your tobacco plantation.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:24 PM
TECH Resident

Deal! Our house here is 2200+ sq ft and is on a half acre. It was appraised at $110K nearly three yrs ago when we bought it brand new. We can't even dream of a garage for that price in CA.

Quick Reply: How bad has CA gotten?