General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Ugh, spark plugs

Old 01-11-2007, 02:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ugh, spark plugs

So, I got the 4 on the drivers side no prob, then went to work on the passenger side, my god what a PITA. Sucks too, cause I didn't complete the job. I gouged the top boot on the #2 plug wire, so had to replace my nice MSD wire with a Delco(Cause I only wanted to buy one, not all 8). I also messed up plug 2. Didn't completely shear the top off, but apparently broke it enough to where it wasnt firing. I was trying to use 2 wrech extensions and a u-joint. But since I couldn't even get #2 out, I gave up on the other three as well. So I had to drive it to my mechanic with one hell of a miss(possibly even dead cyl 2) and i'm paying out the *** to get those 4 plugs done, $93. Next time I go to change them, i'll prolly try to find a local member who is good at it to help me.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Long and skinny fingers + thin wrists FTW!

Seriously though, they're hard. Everyone has their own combination of extensions, ratchets, universals, etc. to get at them.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:07 AM
Launching!

snap on double swivel spark plug socket and span on offset handle with flex head.... trust me
Old 01-11-2007, 11:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Take off the coil packs. Makes things a lot easier IMO.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:10 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,458 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by 09CPTN
So, I got the 4 on the drivers side no prob, then went to work on the passenger side, my god what a PITA. Sucks too, cause I didn't complete the job. I gouged the top boot on the #2 plug wire, so had to replace my nice MSD wire with a Delco(Cause I only wanted to buy one, not all 8). I also messed up plug 2. Didn't completely shear the top off, but apparently broke it enough to where it wasnt firing. I was trying to use 2 wrech extensions and a u-joint. But since I couldn't even get #2 out, I gave up on the other three as well. So I had to drive it to my mechanic with one hell of a miss(possibly even dead cyl 2) and i'm paying out the *** to get those 4 plugs done, $93. Next time I go to change them, i'll prolly try to find a local member who is good at it to help me.
What year is your car? And how many miles since the last plug change?

Your best bet is to use some antiseize on the plug threads and dielectric grease for the wire boots. This will make the next change much easier.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

1998, and I dunno how many miles since the last change, but car has just over 51k, and the plugs i pulled were bosch platinum+4, so not factory. I replaced them with NGK TR55GP.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:23 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by 09CPTN
1998, and I dunno how many miles since the last change, but car has just over 51k, and the plugs i pulled were bosch platinum+4, so not factory. I replaced them with NGK TR55GP.
For a '98 pulling the coil rail is not an option, because we don't have one. You could pull the valvecover, or the individual coils, but frankly I think that's more trouble than it's worth.

On my '98, I just pull the AIR tube off the manifold and push it up/over, move the throttle cables out of the way (ASR only cars), pull my STB off, and work around the ign. coils. Seems easier than trying to pull individual coils.

I use a combo of spark plug socket, slim-line ratchet, short universal extenstion wrapped with electrical tape, and climbing on top of the motor with my stomach facing the air lid. This seems to get me down to that #8 plug. It's not fun, but it's the best method I've found for a '98 car.

Does anyone with a '98 actually pull the individual coils off the valvecover on the passenger side to swap plugs?
Old 01-11-2007, 05:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Does anyone with a '98 actually pull the individual coils off the valvecover on the passenger side to swap plugs?

I did it for #8 once because all the 99-up guys always laud how much easier that makes the job, but, honestly, it was just like you said "more trouble than it's worth."

It did give me a little more leverage on the ratchet, but overall it took about as long to take the coil pack off as it did to get to the plug normally
Old 01-11-2007, 05:58 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Da Swami
I did it for #8 once because all the 99-up guys always laud how much easier that makes the job, but, honestly, it was just like you said "more trouble than it's worth."

It did give me a little more leverage on the ratchet, but overall it took about as long to take the coil pack off as it did to get to the plug normally
Good info. That's what I figured.....
Old 01-11-2007, 06:28 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 77K miles and its running fine. I know I should think about it but I will be niave and chant my matra "GM said fine for 100K."
Old 01-11-2007, 06:58 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
I have 77K miles and its running fine. I know I should think about it but I will be niave and chant my matra "GM said fine for 100K."
I don't think getting those wires off the plugs will be fun after 100K. And neither will getting the plugs out of the head.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

shiiiiit try changing plugs on an LT1 thats a job from HELL!! But a 1 inch extension is a huge help but it toook me 5 mins to do my plugs. but I also had no emissions in the way coil packs or any exhaust on the car
Old 01-12-2007, 09:14 AM
TECH Addict

I have a 98 and I didn't find it too difficult, just took me over an hour.

On passenger side I disassembled the air hose and pushed them out of the way, I disconnect the EGR, I remove the rear coil packs only. On the drivers side, just unplug the temp sensor and disconnect the air tube. Plenty of space on this side.

I use a swivel wrench with an offset handle and standard spark plug socket. It's all in the tools you use I think. A standard socket wrench will not work at the angles those plugs are at. Add in the lack of space on the passenger side, the blind 8 plug and you got hell going on there. The hardest plug I think is number 8 due to the fact you can pretty much only reach it by going over where the coils are (hence removing the rear coil packs) and from behind the engine. With stock headers, underneath is not an option. Also when torquing the plugs, do not overtorque.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:06 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by SladeX
I use a swivel wrench with an offset handle
What does a "swivel wrench with an offset handle" look like? And where would I find one? I’m always open to trying new things if it makes a plug swap easier.

Search this Thread