Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Cf/ram/mcleod St/tex??

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cf/ram/mcleod St/tex??

ok i need a new clutch but i am having some issues. tranny is being rebuilt currently, and am working on a budget. car is going to be a sub-400 rwhp car, but it will see the strip. it will be driven on the street as well, so it needs to be able to hold up to some slipping of the clutch.

i have been considering centerforce DF, and ram HD, but i have heard less than stellar reviews on the centerforce. it would be about $380.00 for this, correct? the ram was going to be my choice, but ram doesnt recommend using the clutch with a stock flywheel, even a resurfaced one. so with a new flywheel, thats gonna run at least $600.00

im thinking, why take a chance and get one of these clutches that might be unsatisfactory, when i can get a mcleod street twin for a few hundred more (with a billet steel flywheel), and call it a day for as long as i own the car? i realize this is overkill for a car making as little power as mine, but it needs to last.

i do not want to replace the hydraulics, does the street twin require this? does a textralia?

should i just go with an ls7/ls2 combo? the guy at the transmission shop thinks it wont be much better than a stock clutch, but i believe it will do fine.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:06 PM
TECH Resident

look at what the ls7 puts out. 460rwhp and 440rwtq, at least. I would think you should be fine.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

can you use the ls7/ls2 combo with factory 98 hydraulics? they work fine now
Old 01-19-2007, 01:31 PM
12 Second Club

would also like to know the answer to that...
Old 01-19-2007, 04:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not just use the Mcleod single/kevlar? I can't understand why you'd be considering a Centerforce then think you need a street twin??
Old 01-19-2007, 05:46 PM
Teching In

I'm in the same boat as you djfargot. I'm looking for a replacement clutch to hold near-stock hp/tq levels, but will be able to handle road race track day abuse and some drag strip duty. Though, I don't want to spend too much green. I'm wondering if the LS7 would be able to handle all that and still provide a decent lifespan. Fricken cars, I shoulda known better...
Old 01-19-2007, 06:47 PM
Teching In

im putting in a ram powergrip hd with a resurfaced flywheel this weekend, also replacing all hydraulics (slave/master cylinder). from what i have heard its ok to use the ram flywheels or stay with OEM resurfaced nodular iron flywheel. ill let u know how it goes.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:35 PM
Teching In

i got my car back sunday with the Ram Powergrip HD installed in my 01 Z06. there were a few changes made to the installation. we only changed out the slave cylinder and pilot bearing, and left the master cylinder alone. also the drill mod was performed as well. the stock flywheel was resurfaced. so far i have driven the about 300 miles and here are my impressions:

-pedal is significantly stiffer than stock LS6, with engagement point roughy 3-4 inches from the floor.
-there is some chatter but it is not excessive to the point where the car shakes violently. i have been doing a lot of street driving (stop and go) and i have found that if i perform a slight slip then quick release of the clutch it will not chatter. this does take some getting used to. it may seem like a on/off clutch at first but if u drive it a bit, u find that it is not.
-the clutch definitely grips and grabs. i can defintely feel the power as soon as i shift all the way thru to redline without it slipping. its almost night and day compared to the LS6 clutch.

i called ram regarding break-in requirements, and they stated there is no required break-in period. however to be safe I drove 200 miles just to be safe then i mashed on it. thru 1-2-3-4 gears definitely felt a lot stronger, no dead pedal, and smooth engagement in each gear even at high RPMs. the next step is to see if could handle 100 shot of spray which i will trying at the track this weekend.

as of now i would definitely recommend this clutch! i will post back after this weekend after i make some passes on spray and as reach certain mileage points.

my mods are in my sig for interested in my setup.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:09 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a RAM Powergrip HD in my personal car right now and I couldn't be happier with it. I just resurfaced my factory flywheel and have had no issues with that yet either (approx. 8,000) on the clutch. I drive this car every day. It has some minor chatter due to the fact I still have 3.42's but it is minimal and I got used to it quick
Old 01-23-2007, 02:29 PM
Launching!

I have the LS7, you will be perfectly fine at your power level with it. Hell i'm at 406rwhp through the 9"(probably around 430 at the flywheel) and it's holding great. There are a few guys around the 500-550hp range giving this clutch hell with no issues. I would go LS7/LS2 and get a new slave cylidner while you are at it, that way you never have to drop the tranny again. The master can be replaced easily if you have problems with it(seeing that you have a 98, you probably will have one of the 2 give you problems). I think I spent around $630 shipped for the LS7/LS2 combo w/ new slave, flywheel bolts, and pilot bearing at Fred Beans.

Stock pedal feel, grabs great, can't beat that. I recently got a cam and getting heads soon and i'll be replacing my master with the mcleod adjustable because the stock and ls7 clutchs grab a little high in the pedal for me and I want it a little lower.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:48 PM
On The Tree

McLeod is the way to go.Street twin is overkill and organic/kevlar is good but you will get chatter in city/everyday driving.USe the McLeod single organic.Holds up to 500hp and smooth engagement.Ls1speed out of chicago will match F-Body Central on price of $830.It comes with disc,pressure plate,billet flywheel and adjustable master cylinder.Byunspeed sells the cheapest slave cylinder,ARP pressure plate bolts,flywheel bolts and I think the roller pilot bearing.You're out the door for under $1000, then labor for install.