Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch slipping again

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 04:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch slipping again

hey guys i need some help with this clutch problem or advice on what to do. i have a 98 camaro ss with the t56 with 78k on it. the stock clutch started slipping really bad,so i installed was a spec stage2. it lasted for about 3 months normal driving, not really ripping on it or launching hard, then it started slipping again. about 3 months ago i replaced the spec2 with the ls6 clutch and fly wheel,it worked fine for a while, and shure enough today its slipping yet again. i broke the clutch in correctly, shifted under 3000rpm for the 1st 500 miles. does anybody know what the problem might be? or how to fix it? help would be greatly apprciated.

rob
Old 01-12-2007, 05:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

How long did you own the car before the original clutch went out?

Andrew
Old 01-12-2007, 06:28 PM
Staging Lane

Do you slip the clutch when you engage it?
Old 01-12-2007, 11:28 PM
Staging Lane

I owned the car for about two years before the original clutch went out, so about 10k a year on it . I really dont slip it when i engage it either, real smooth engagment every time. I havent been to the track with either clutches, so i know its not too hard of launches when dicking arround town. I checked tranny mounts, and engine mounts to make shure its not shifting in some direction that it shouldnt and there all fine. Could a bad U joint cause this, dosent feel like any driveshaft vibrations either. im honestly really stumped here guys. guess it might be time for that 408 and the tranny rebuild from t56 rebuilds
Old 01-13-2007, 05:11 AM
TECH Junkie

You only got 10k out of the stock clutch without abuse? Id say you need to refine your driving skills, it sounds like you are riding the clutch and causing ALOT of premature wear. The performance clutch materials will not even last as long as stock under those circumstances....
Old 01-13-2007, 07:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cantdrv65
You only got 10k out of the stock clutch without abuse? Id say you need to refine your driving skills, it sounds like you are riding the clutch and causing ALOT of premature wear. The performance clutch materials will not even last as long as stock under those circumstances....
+1 If you beat or drag your car no clutch is going to live long . Even aftermarket clutches are going to last you 10-15 thousand miles with abuse .
Old 01-14-2007, 01:04 AM
Staging Lane

Well for a while the clutch pedal felt really spungy, and the clutch pedal would stick when i engaged it for a few seconds then come back up eventually. I took it to a local shop that has a pretty good reputation arround here, and they fixed that problem. I used to let my ex drive the car when i was a few drinks over to drive and she road the clutch every now and then . She only drove it a couple of nights a month tho. Could be driving skills, but i just about always put my foot on the rest after i shift. The only time i keep it hovering arround the clutch pedal is when im banging gears on the highway, or dicking arround with my buddy and his cobra. I guess ill just take it back to the shop and see if they cant figure anything out with it.

Quick Reply: clutch slipping again